A One-hour comic.

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Bill, I always love your work so there isn't much to say. Cool!

I tried doing a One-Hour comic on Sunday. It was suppost to be an easy four panel comic, I got to panel two and I realized that I was spending a lot of time on the details and making it look good that I had spent 1 hour 15 minutes and I only got halfway. Of course I decided to cancel it being one hour and make it into a this FlatEarth comic, which I am not posting until I get enough under my belt.

So it was a good thing because it encouraged me to do more comic strips and work hard on this FlatEarth which I had been putting off since I felt it was too complicated. But if I can do a comic in 2.5 hours than it can't be that bad.

I'll do a one-hour comic later ... promise.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

I bring this thread back from the dead! Back, I say!

Post by Surlyben »

I too have been waiting all day for the forum to be live again so I could post this :)

I did a little one hour comic. As always, it can be found here: www.contretemps.net

Ben
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

wow! The lines are really expressive. This is basically the story of my life nowadays! I am married and living in a new city, and meeting guy friends feels kind of like dating all of a sudden! Will he like me? Will I like him? Will it be another waste of time/money? Will he "ask me out" again? I swear, I thought I was done with dating after I got married!!!
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Welcome Back, Ben!

I like the comic. Very expressive, very artsy! You got talent, kid. Post more comics and I will be here to read them. :)

I had my own one-hour comic that I drew and posted on my site last month. It sucked so I saying anything here about it.

Vince ... wait until you have kids. You will never have time for friends again. (JK)
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

And again

Post by Surlyben »

I did another one... Not so clever this time. It can be found at www.contretemps.net/archives/2003/contre051003.html

I think I got all hung up on drawing the cars. And that stupid on-ramp. (It really looks vaguely like that... goes on right between two buildings, and the approach is on a big hill, so you get this birds eye view). Oh well. Move along, nothing to see here.
--
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

wow. nice, brief, and packed with enjoyment. a really good one hour comic experience. I haven't done any in a looooooooong time.... Maybe I will do some soon..... maybe not. Anyhow, I did revamp my site so it is easier to navagate. Nothing new up yet, but since it is easier to navigate maybe if you go there you might find something you have never seen before because it was too difficult to get to in the past....

But, yeah, anyhow, that was a really good one hour comic. I really think you have captured the essense of a one hour comic.

Mine were just strange visual experiments with basically little or no actual story content. Which were fun to do, and possibly enjoyable to look at, but they didn't really "read" like comics... Having said that, since they were so much fun maybe I'll continue along those lines later.....
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I quite like that.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

to what does this refer?
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

put up a new one hour comic today.....
http://www.gazorenzoku.com/one_hour_10.html

And the one hour comic menu is at:
http://www.gazorenzoku.com/one_hour_comics.html
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Hmm ... the problem with this comic, although very artistic and expressive, I have no idea what exactly what kind of statement/message/meaning you are trying to express.

New art styles for you as well. The first panel reminds me of Matt Groening, the third panel is all dotty/blobby and the fourth panel is Escher-ish. Definately fun, although is the inconsitance style a conscience choice?

Good to see more comics from you though.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

yes, well, my one hour comics are fairly experimental... not really following a coherent line of thinking at all. I look at the one hour comic as a chance to just let everything sort of flow out during a 60 minute period. Both the art style and the narrative are happhazard, and not planed. I really can't see myself successfully carrying out a planned out or cohesive comic in 60 minutes, but I may do it one day. So basically I post the things as a sort of ongoing experiment that hopefully feeds my more serious, planned out comics. Where are they? Well, recently I have been working towards trying to get into the world of print comics, so I have been making a lot of sample packs to send out to print comics companies, which I don't feel should go online because they might be published. But as I make new packets and leave the old ones behind, I guess I could put the old ones up since they have less and less of a chance to get published...

as for what is being expressed, I'm not really 100% sure, and that is the way I want to keep it. Also, I intend for the viewer to understand the comic in their own way, and to get out of it whatever they want. If the art sort of reflects or bounces off of something within them, then they can have their own personal understanding of it, and thus their own personal experience. But I realize that this might not be to everyone's taste. So I appologize for putting something up which might not be an entertaining experience for everyone...

Anyhow, thanks for looking.
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

http://www.contretemps.net/archives/2002/contre111102.html

Post by Surlyben »

No new comic, (nor will there be until a. I get back from Comic-Con, and b. the cable company gets around to hooking up my internet connection), but I turned a the one about the robot into a mini comic for ComicCon. Basically I converted to grayscale and made some photocopies, and cut them in Chick tract format so that the horizon effect would be partially captured. Of course, it is pretty much impossible to get everything to line up when using a photocopier, so the whole thing looks kind of, um, I like to think of it as punk rock, but half assed is also a fair description. I think they are swell.

Anyway. In the unlikely event that anyone around here wants one, it can be had for postage. Or trades. Or if you have done a one hour comic, it's free. Send me an email with your address (ben at benhard.com), and I'll mail you a half as-- ahem, punk rock/DIY/chock-full-of indie-cred-mini-comic. (I'm not expecting a huge rush here. The web version is unquestionably better.)

Ben
--
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Put up a little one-hour on my site last week. It's my con report from San Diego. Sort of.

http://www.contretemps.net/archives/200 ... 91703.html

Ben
--
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I like your comic. It is one of my favorites from you. California is really just like that. Reminds me of my trip out there (and that Eagles song). Although, I think it begs for another installment. There was no Con in the comic and you got our curiousity about what happened with the ex. Good stuff.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Thanks! As for the con report and more about the ex girlfriend, I think you may be waiting a while for that comic :) My con consisted of me buying lots of comics, handing out a lame little photocopied mini, and acting like a fanboy whenever I met indie comics artists. The ex girlfriend, we saw in LA, and it was the highlight of the trip from LA to San Diego, but there's not much to say beyond that.

I was a little worried that I was being too mean about southern california, but what the heck. I kinda hate it there. (I grew up near Ventura...)
--
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I didn't think it was mean. I thought it was pretty accurate. Of course, there are things to like about this place, but it's not as if what was in your comic was wrong or totally misrepresentative. Certainly not mean.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Sounds oddly like a couple of Kean Soo's recounts of a street festival. Just take advice from Drew Weing ...
Just illustrate a random moment from your tedious existance.
Very interesting how I could find comics to actualy make my point for me. :)
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

heh. That first one is basically me at the convention. What was odd was that I talked to some superhero artists, and I was fine. But going up to Carla Speed McNiel, or, say, any of the Moderntales and co. artists and that's pretty much me. What's irritating is that they were all remarkably approachable; all the idiotic fanboyishness was coming from my side.

Oh well.

I should point out that the main reason I'm not likely to do one about the Con is that I have been working on a non one hour comic lately and for the foreseeable future. I'm trying my hand at regular updates (three times a week) which is something new and different for me...

Edit: Greg, I know there is stuff to like (the ready availability of cheap good mexican food, for one... Trips to the beach for two...) and San Diego is not so bad. I just wanted to describe LA and environs as desolate. And IMO you really are lucky if you have an air conditioner. :)
--
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Anybody else having problems with Mozilla displaying it? Mozilla 1.4 (MacOS 10.2.6) renders it as nothing but white.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I've had that problem with macs before... It could be width. Do you have a problem with this one as well? http://www.contretemps.net/archives/200 ... 02302.html Or with any of the other comics on my page?
Ben
--
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I use Firebird, which is uses the same Gecko rendering engine as Mozilla and no problems. But I am using the WinXP version. Wouldn't expect it to make a difference, though.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I use firebird as well, with no problems, but again, Win XP. My mother, on the other hand, uses a mac and netscape, and she can't see images that are really wide. I've never figured out how wide, though. I thought it might be 6000 pixels, but now I'm guessing it's smaller.
--
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

You're right, I can't see that one either. I used to use IE, but I've since deleted it so I can't try it to compare.

Safari will show it, so it must be a Mozilla-on-Mac problem.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I changed the one about san diego, so you might be able to see it now...
--