Correcting fluid question (and mini rant)

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Correcting fluid question (and mini rant)

Post by Surlyben »

Here is a fairly basic art question. What kind of correcting fluid do you like? What is there to avoid? In college they told us to steer away from basic white out because it leaves everything a blobby mess. White paint was suggested as an alternative.

My experience is this: white paint is no less blobby than white out, and has the added disadvantage of usually requiring multiple coats to dry completely. Also, sometimes it's not as white as advertised. On the up side, certain types of white paint can be drawn over with a pen. Which I've found to be pretty much not possible with white-out. (My pens tend to scrape it off, and it becomes this huge chalky mess and then I try and cover it again and it gets all blobby and I usually forget to wait until the ink has dried, so it turns gray, and the whiteout clogs my pen and oh, the humanity) I've tried opaque white ink, white acrylic based paint, white out... All have their problems.

(can you tell that I just had a white out issue?) So, is there anything out there that works? I would love to know.

Thanks!

Surlyben
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Speaking for myself only, I don't use it. If I make a mistake in ink, I deal with it in one of two ways: Either I know I can correct it later after scanning into the digital realm and I leave it be or I add more lines in an attempt to correct it, usually making a mess of the whole thing (which then has to be corrected after scanning...).
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I also find myself using it when I want to paint on black. There are lots of times when it is just easier to paint an area black and then come in with the white paint...
--
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I remember this stuff we used to use at Kinko's. It was this pen like thing that would roll out the white-out. Mind you it was NOT a white-out pen, nor was it white tape. I am not sure what that stuff was, but it did work wonders. I will have to search online to see what it was.

(type google, goto staples, goto writting supplies, goto correction supplies, search ...)

I think this is what I am talking about ...
this or this
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I have one of those. I have trouble drawing on it... it comes right up again.

Hmm seems like the best solution for me is still paint. Or paper, if the error is large.
--
Dan Hernandez
Forum Member

Post by Dan Hernandez »

I've been using this stuff called Pro-White lately, its basically an opaque watercolor. I like this stuff because i can apply it with a brush with a lot more accuracy than a white out pen provides. It's opaque enough that a thick coat isn't needed and it will still cover black, it also takes ink really well once its dried, and it doesn't crack off like white out has a tendency to do. It is pretty much waterproof once it dries, which it does about as fast as ink. It's a little pricey at seven bucks for 1oz but I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff lasted me the next ten years. i'll probably lose it before i use it up.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Pro-White... Thanks, I'll keep an eye out next time I go to the art supply store.
--