OPEN SOURCE UNIVERSES

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

InkAddict
Consistant Poster

OPEN SOURCE UNIVERSES

Post by InkAddict »

For more info, go HERE:::--->http://www.zwol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410&start=25

This is a topic entirely devoted to open source universes. We, the creators of open source universes, deliver open source ideas for everyone to use, so the amateur comics community can create comics that have certain elements in common, thus opening possibilities of belonging to a greater, bigger picture, while still retaining creative control. These ideas are officially declared public domain by being posted here, unless these ideas have already been copyrighted. Everybody is free to use these settings and their elements, in any comic, but will have to follow a few simple rules. If these rules are broken, no copyright infringement is done, and no legal hassles are to be expected, but the person breaking these rules, will lose our respect. Please try to uphold these ideals, so a non-commercial, non-binding unity of characters, settings, etc... can grow and expand, thus making the amateur and the quality he has to offer, visible to the world!

_____

Well, I hope that summed up about everybody's views? If you have problems, mail me at domicrayon@yahoo.fr

THE RULES:
  • Please, try to follow the descriptions of any open source material proposed. You can rewrite and adapt, but stay true to its uniqueness, or write a new one

If you would like to add your own views post them (even in the form of links--images can be useful to stress certain concepts and visual ideas)

Respect the conditions made by its original creator. If it says that in "Funnyworld", everything is pink, don't invent a yellow "funnyworld": create a new world of your own. By publishing your own comic (online or otherwise) you become a co-creator. Live up to it and try to do your best (of course this rule can't be checked objectively, it's more of a moral principle most people will understand :wink: )

Subjected material is in the free domain: the creator CAN NOT copyright these original ideas! Think carefully what you are sharing with the community :wink:

Also, these open source comics sources do not rule out overlap: they are proposed to expand possibilities beyond blind fanatic paradox-free universes!
POWER TO CREATIVITY!!!
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I had a dream, in which this rather strange world came to me.

As the world is more a concept, you are free to give it the looks you like, but inspirations can be (amongst others) Blade Runner, Brazil (by Terry Gilliam), and other dystopian futures (who said 1984?)

It is a futuristic and heavily hierarchised caste system, in which every caste has a colour:

The "rulers" are white, containing all other colours, they are believed to be supreme beings.

Red is the army

Purple the police force

Blue the bureaucracy, the employees

Green the workforce

Yellow the entertainers (note: journalists are also Yellow)

Orange the Undercast (a kind of pariahs often stigmatised to do only the dirtiest jobs)

________

Everybody ONLY talks to people of their own caste, and may ask questions to the people below them. Exceptions are special permissions granted regularly to entertainers. The orange caste is not even allowed to talk among themselves while in public areas.

Everything is highly supervised and regulated, although nobody knows all laws and rules (though everybody is supposed to know them)

Army and Police don't shun violence, but there are rumours about a more violent caste, the Black caste (having the power to eliminate anyone, and dressing in the colour of those they are asked to infiltrate)

The Black caste can be asked to perform jobs for white officials, but ultimately responds to the mirror caste or silver caste. These are dressed in reflecting materials and are even when trained able to be almost invisible. They are said to hear and see all, to know all, and to be all-powerful.

______

Babies aren't born, but bred, and haven't got any reproductive organs: they have sexual organs though, but women dont have a womb they can conceive babies with. This is done through genetic manipulation. When they are 5 years old, babies learn their jobs and at the age of twelve are ready to perform them. They are chosen for a caste and stay within it.

_______

To maintain power, special ads are made showing the disgusting apparences of babies until they are three years old. Before their three years, they are "bred" in special closed institutions. As no-one remembers their first years, and social and publicitary opinions are force-fed to them, most people end up believeing babies are hideous creatures.

All animals and plants have died long ago (they say) and food is made out of cellular cultures. History has been revised and no-one knows what year it is. Officially it's the year 538, but this may be because they had to have an official date. The world is one massive city although some tell of oceans deep down, where "fish" live. Only fragments of the past are circulating and whites pay a lot of money to obtain them (secretly, as spies are everywhere).

The silvers are revered as gods and rarely seen, unless in holographic projections.

Some say they orbit the world in a paradise of their own. There is a widespread belief in reincarnation to climb in social status.

Rebels lose their rights and are called "blanks", "empties" and "gaps". They wear brown until they are publicly executed.

Everybody hates babies as they are depicted as gross deformed monsters until their body is said to organise itself as human bodies.

Hope someone finds this setting useful. I'm working on some short stories and will perhaps one day post them :D :D

Feel free to invent technology and clothing, as the world is big and some cities are almost medieval in style, while others are highly advanced.

Don't mess too much with the colour codes though; it must be rather cool to have some points in common in different stories :wink:

up to you

P.S.: i still DON'T have a name for this world/universe...proposals are welcome :D
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I got a name after all...

I've decided to call it...

"OF ALL PLACES..."

I kind of like the open ending and the determinism in phrases like "know your place" and "A place for all things, and all things at their place"(by Laplace :wink: , a Mathematician)

Any other suggestions are still open!

If someone has ideas for other open source comics please let them know here :D