Where does money GO?

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Where does money GO?

Post by InkAddict »

...in France, the cost of a print comic album lies between 7. 93 EURO
and 12. 50 EURO. Let's say around 10. 21 EURO.

Of these 10. 21 EURO, money is spent as follows... (I'm taking Scott's way of explaining things):
  • Comic book stores:

40%

Delivery/Distribution:

15%

Actual Printing:

17%

Editor (which contains promotion and several other functions):

12. 5%

Author:

10%

Taxes (!)

5. 5%
Does anyone know how much these figures would amount to in America? Or how this would change with online comics?

These aren't my figures, they were given by David Chauvel (comics writer) to the new excellent French Comics magazine "Pavillon Rouge" and published by "La Lettre, l'officiel de la BD", the comics magazine for the professional comic artists and those who prefer a serious look on it.

Well... if there are any comments or questions, I have the article here so ask away! :D
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
vdimitra

Yes, do send the article

Post by vdimitra »

I'm interested in knowing more about the industry facts in Europe - and the US, if anyone has some.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

I haven't got much more info,...

Post by InkAddict »

... as the article isn't that long.

It points out that most comics albums are less expensive than most books (a classical book is sold at about 18 EURO or more, despite a lesser global cost (no pictures nor colour))

Also the main criticism in the article is to point out the absurd idea, that the editor gets the payload of cash. 12.5% isn't THAT much, especially when you have still to pay publicity, functioning costs (I guess this means secretaries, paper, computers, etc...) and the cashflow of the entire editing company (as sometimes more than three years go by between the first investments and the first sales).

Also it is important to know that every book unsold costs money if only because you have to have stocking space to keep those books in good shape! (warehouses,...)
Also the comic book stores (i.e. all shops, big and small selling comic books, even if they're actually selling something else) doesn't get "rich" by taking those 40%, as he still has to take in account multiple costs like, for instance, transport (from a "big" seller to the little shop-at-the-corner, comic books go a long way).

Tadaaaaaa!

If anyone has more details, I'd be glad to hear from him/her
:D

Some criticism I have is directed at the editor as the poor little company trying to survive: as most editors have multiple comics titles running, some of their costs are split, as the money spent serves a lot of comics at the same time. 12.5% may seem small, but when you make these 12.5% every time on all series you manage to publish, a lot of money can be stocked away or invested in things you wouldn't be able to do if you had but one or two series. (buying a warehouse, for instance, or getting decent secretaries,...). 8)
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict