New online comic, Energy

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisSturhann
Regular Poster

New online comic, Energy

Post by chrisSturhann »

Hi,

Although I've had gag cartoons and comics online for years, this is my first comic that uses the "infinite canvas" approach. It's about 18 panels and weighs in at roughly 200 K. It's a self contained comic called Energy, and it's the first link under Recent Updates at

http://www.chrissturhann.com

Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Chris
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Energy

Post by Tailsteak »

Well, the design is nice.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

The art isn't my cup of tea, but hey, with such a story and such a comic timing ... who cares? Great stuff :D LOL
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
chrisSturhann
Regular Poster

Post by chrisSturhann »

Yingo,

Art has always been a struggle for me. I'm trying to draw on computer, and it's coming fairly slow. Plus, I still trying to find a style that I can pull off. The style I like more than anything is old magazine gag cartoons from the 1940s and 50s. This isn't an attempt at that. I'll shoot for that later when I have a better handle on the tool I'm using, Paint Shop Pro. Glad you thought it was funny.

Chris
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I'm really comfortable drawing, but I recognise a good comic even when the art isn't top notch :wink:

As I still don't have a scanner, I had the same problem too.

This one (my first online comic) was done in Photoshop, using actual photo's, there are many possibilmities to the guys that aren't comfortable drawing but still know what they want to show, so...

Maybe this will help:

http://homepage.mac.com/yingo/.Pictures/firstcomic.jpg

I made them Black&White bitmaps first, but ther are other things you can do with it and I'm sure one day you'll find a way that best suits the mood you want.

Try all filters, and don't forget to try them on monochrome or bitmapped images (Alpha colour channels help a lot too), you might find what you need. This one was done in about 5 hours. Once you got the images, it's just cut & paste, really :wink:

Good luck 8)
chrisSturhann
Regular Poster

Post by chrisSturhann »

Actually, I don't use a scanner and haven't done much with raster images. Paint Shop Pro does do vector drawing, although not as sophisticated as Corel Draw or Illustrator, but probably easier to use. I probably could get better results going the scanner, raster image route, but I like the way you can edit and reuse vector images. I just have a way to go to get where I want to be.

I did see your comic when you first posted a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, although agree with the comment about the text being too small. Also at my monitor resolution, I had to scroll both up and down and side to side. The story was cool. If anything, I'd want to see more. It works as a vignette, but I think it might carry more impact with a bit more setup.

Chris
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

I hopeto post some more comics with less flaws and more work on them, when I've finished school and will definitely take all of the advise in account. I prefer working in Photoshop because of the way my mind works: I have more of a painter than a drawer, once I get behind the computer. This may change once I get a Wacom Art Tablet, though financial limits hold me back for the moment. One of the things I like about these kinds of threads though is the way advice can be given and received freely. I've totally changed my view of comics since I started reading RC and the threads / comics on this board. I've grown fond of the idea a comics author is free to evolve in style/technique. I had grown accustomed to the idea of the portfolio showing what an artist can do, and then doing it time and time again until you get better. Here on this board there is time to evaluate, improve, even change direction completely,... etc...

Next time I'll start making use of space more, as my first attempt was a bit cramped up, and it sure could do with a slower build-up :D