Max is THINKING IN COMICS again!

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Max is THINKING IN COMICS again!

Post by Max Leibman »

I'm having a heck of a week, going through massive withdrawal and sluggishness as I break free of caffeine's evil hold.

Meanwhile, though, Tuesday's comic did eventually show up, and I have posted a new edition of my column, THINKING IN COMICS.

This time, I take look at CrossGen's new anthology format, the ridiculously low-priced compendia Forge and Edge. 224 pages of varying genre stories for only $10 . . . sound like a shot in the arm for comics. But is this initiative really a visionary effort to sculpt print comics' future format, or merely a shrewd marketing ploy to build the audience for CrossGen's current monthly pamphlet and trade-paperback formats?

I'm just cocky enough to think I have the answer, and I lay it out in this week's Thinking in Comics.
Peace out,

Max Leibman

Desiderata - Go. Read. Critique.
Wallbat
Forum Member

Where's Desiderata

Post by Wallbat »

I hope you notice this. Has Desiderata been moved, or dropped all together. At any rate, I really liked it( for what it's worth) and good luck with whatever else your thinking up these days.
Don't blame me if you don't like what I say, it's the X-Men's fault I'm here in the first place.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I would like to write a reply to your column. Before I do that, I want to say I really like your comic. Now, your column is very well written and well thought out. You truely "Understand Comics". As for CrossGen's Forge and Edge ... I have yet to actualy see or read these comics since I have too many bills to pay and have little money to spare. But when I go to the comic book store next, I will definately buy the first issues. Here is why:

I love anthologies. I have always collected comics such as Negitive Burn or Dark Horse Presents (along with others). The anthology format allows a broader range of styles and stories with less risk into entering the market alone. Some anthologies have themes as you mentioned in your column. That format tends to work rather well if you are interested in one genre, although it is kind of limiting. The reason why I love anthologies is because of it's wide range of stories and genres. If I don't like one, there is usualy more that I do like. Comics like Negetive Burn from Calibur was a showcase of underground/alternative artists and their comics. It allowed exposure to stories that would normaly never get print otherwise. I believe if I can quote from Chasing Amy, "In a industry full of the big guns, big pecs, there's not much room for the hearts and flowers." Let comics like Dark Horse Presents be a forum for a different genre, carried on the back of more popular artists short stories. In the case of Negitive Burn, many of the comics will never see the light of the comic market. Dark Horse Presents is a bit of a marketing ploy. But does it work? Yes. Is it good? Yes. Having a stronger title carry lesser title is worth it. It's a better ploy than alternative covers, foil covers or nudes ...

In Japan, almost every comic is offered in an athology format. They have big phone books sized publications usualy printed on newpaper stock. They frequent anywhere from once a week to four times a year depending on the publication. If a comic has good demand they reprint it on better paper and printing, although on smaller pages. These manga (japanese comics) have a broader range of subjects and readership. Think about going to your local newspaper stand and picking up the latest comic. There are anthologies about golf, sports, fantasy, etc. Some are targeted for children, boys, girls, teens, adults, and really adult. Nobody really thinks much about it. In a way, it is kind of like reading the funnies in the newpaper. When I heard about these compendias, it reminded me of these manga anthologies, only in reverse.

Frankly, I think it is about time the American market start producing comics in this format. It promotes a larger audiance. I think when you are first time reader walking into a comic book store, the selection can be a bit intimitating. With a hundred comics on the new or recent release selves and thousands of old comics in long boxes, where does one start? The trade paperback section provides some help, collecting a book in one easy format. However even at reduced price for a graphic novel (vs. collecting individual issues), the prices might be a bit high for a comic which you don't know is good or not. If the American market start producing books like CrossGen's compendias, it gives a better starting point for new readers. There is a good chance if you don't like one story in an anthology that there will probably be one you like.
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Has anyone heard from Max recently? The last sign I saw of him was a few e-mails over a month ago, when he sent me his column for Shades of December. Since then, nothing, even though I've e-mailed him a couple of times since. Hopefully he's just having Internet problems, but I'm starting to wonder if he's okay.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

I hope that he's okay too!

Later,
Randy