New Web comic on Exclaim!

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

sandy carruthers
Regular Poster

New Web comic on Exclaim!

Post by sandy carruthers »

Hey all! Just a quick plug! I decided instead of having my story, 'The Ronin & the Lily', collect dust on my shelf to post it up for all to see. Do drop over as I put some of my current page samples up as well. The url is
http://www.sandycarruthers.com/exclaim.html
Always looking for feedback! thanks!
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Beautiful art & story.

Reminded me of a quality comic here in Europe called KOGARATSU (Japanese for "Honour", I believe)

It's different in art and story, but it's about samura? too, so maybe you'd like to check it out and read it as documentation.

Here's a link: http://www.bdnet.com/Kogaratsu/fiche_serie.htm
Hope it exists in a language you know or understand, cause the intrigues are quite complex.

(When you click on the "voir une page" links, you can see a page. "voir couverture" takes you to the cover image)

Nice! a quality comic

Hope all episodes will go online? :D :D :D
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
sandy carruthers
Regular Poster

Thanks for the kind words and the excellent link reference. 'Kogaratsu' looks awesome! I'm going to do a search about for it in english, if not , I'll take it just for the art!
It's funny, comparisons are obvious on the outset with my story to 'Lone Wolf & Cub', but honestly! I wasn't trying to copy(couldn't even come close!), it actually derived from my seperation from my wife and striking out alone with my daughter(I know, I know... divorce can do strange stuff to one's head!)... but as you read on, you'll see it's nothing like Lone Wolf.(I saw this comic the other day in the comic shop called Lone Wolf 2034(or something)-Samurai with kid in the basket on back: what the hell? I can't win!
Yes, the whole story will be told online. No trees will be killed for this personal project! I just ask for patience, folks, as it's a labor of growth and love.
BTW, I'm working on another webcomic called 'Blood Pond'. Keep an eye out for it, if you like horror ala seventies-style! I'll make an announcement here soon.
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Don't worry, it's just Kogaratsu is the only comic I know which is about samura? and is decently documented (i.e. not having Samura? beating up cowboys just because it's cool to draw).

I've seen some child-in-basket references too, (the most absurd one in "Mad Max III-Thunderdome"), and I didn't even think you copied anything. :D

Just thought you might perhaps need the extra (visual) material (I remember one Kogaratsu where he dresses up; another where he remembers his code of honour;...)

I'm amazed at the artwork. Aren't you a pro yet? The rythm of the images and the quality of both art and story are way beyond what is done in mainstream american comics.

Also I crave for comics that go beyond the classical genres. Medieval Oriental has always been one of my favourites, ever since I saw "A Chinese Ghoststory" and "Swordmasters". I like some manga's but sometimes the suspension of disbelief just needs the semirealistic drawing you and the Kogaratsu series have :wink:

I'm eager to see Blood Pond

Sounds like the thing that seems cooler than cool 8)
70's Horror?
Are there any scenes of couples kissing on the backseat of a car? :wink:
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
sandy carruthers
Regular Poster

Thanks! It's an excellent resource. When I free up some moola on my credit card, I plan to purchase copies(untranslated-unless ANYONE knows where i can buy translated versions of this book) of Kogaratsu. Awesome stuff!
And no, I'm not pro (yet), meaning I haven't been hired by 'the big two' or the other 'big two'(Dark Horse and Image) or the other 'one' - (Crossgen). They are very tough markets to break in. Marvel did, however, reproduce the first issue of 'Men in Black'. It was a limited run for when the first movie came out. I discovered this by coincidence and contacted Marvels legal department to explain that the artwork was indeed copyright in my name, and I wasn't given permission to use it. To their credit, they were very obliging and apologetic, as well, compensated me for the reproduction. So, apart from being 'semi-pro', that was my brush with being 'pro'.
I'm glad you like my stuff, Yingo. Belgium rocks!
sandy carruthers
Regular Poster

Oh, and Yingo? About Blood Pond? Let's just say that the infamous Forry Ackerman will be making a guest cameo appearance! Huzzah!