Unbreakable McCloud

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

(Sorry- couldn't resist that subject line. Forgive me-- it's late. Anyhow--)

Got the DVD for Unbreakable today-- couldn't resist, it was on sale at $15 for today only and for a new double-disc DVD, that's a bargain. At any rate, it was (almost) worth it for the extra "Comic Books and Superheroes" documentary alone. Not a bad piece, with thoughts on comics and superheroes from Will Eisner, Frank Miller, Alex Ross, Trina Robbins, Dave Gibbons, and Scott (note the computers surrounding him). (Did I forget anybody? Probably-- sombody correct me, please.)
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
damonk13
Frequent Poster

Post by damonk13 »

Gah!!!

I still have yet to be able to SEE that movie, much less see this DVD bonus you mention!!

I am SOOO behind in terms of pop culture, it's not funny anymore -- and i'm supposed to be a cartoonist! O_o

Darn my grad studies for keeping me sequestered from reality!!!

[edited because i never proof my bad typing]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: damonk13 on 2001-06-27 02:48 ]</font>
glych
Frequent Poster

Post by glych »

Well, I got it about a week ago (works in a video store) so I have greatly enjoyed the extras...

I just hope that Hollywood (which is unready to admit that comic books do kick ass) doesn't shun Shimalian for this incredible movie...i mean, the concept alone; (spoiler damonk, skip to next paragraph) that if one man can be so weak, than another can be so strong to that far of an extreme! WOW! If that were true, I'd hope that my artistic talent balances well with someone elses writing....

And if that's true, I hope we meet up and begin to tell a stroy... Who knows, we might finish it :wink:

-glych
---
"I may not be able to move that rock, but -man- can I make that rock think it's been moved"-Corran Horn, Star Wars

Glych's Experiment
Max Leibman
Consistant Poster

Post by Max Leibman »

I think CBR's Augie de Blieck said it best:
<BLOCKQUOTE><I>If you haven't seen it yet, UNBREAKABLE is a movie for us, masquerading as a movie for them. They're going to be uncomfortable watching a movie about comics. We just suckered them into it. And M. Night Shyamalan pulls it off with enough grace, style, and directorial excellence that they might not even realize it just yet.</I></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can read his review of it <A HREF="http://www.comicbookresources.com/colum ... 6">here</A>.

Peace out,

Max Leibman
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Not to turn this into a movie review, but I disagree with Augie's analysis. If <i>Unbreakable</i> was truly a movie for "us" (that is, comic book fans), then it would have been a lot smarter. Honestly-- does it have <i>any</i>thing new to say about the subject of super-heroes that any comic reader doesn't already know? And the movie's major conceit-- the "surprise ending"-- is only a surprise if you aren't watching the movie with comic book superheroes in mind (which would be nearly impossible, given the rest of the movie). I mean, you spend 2 hours of storytelling time building, building, building suspense for <i>something</i> and then in the last two minutes of the movie you... what? Just state the bloody obvious? I mean, if you hadn't twigged to the fact that-- Well, that's a spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie, so I won't say it outright, but, golly-gee! It's as much as said by one of the lead characters in one of his earliest lines of dialogue!

So, yes, it's interesting that a movie of this nature was made and it's well-done up until the final two minutes or so, but a movie for "us"? For superhero fans? I don't think so.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
John2two
Regular Poster

Post by John2two »

Thanks, gang! If not for this thread, I probably would have waited a few months before I got around to renting this flick. Instead, I picked up a copy of the DVD yesterday and watched it last night.

My sweet and I enjoyed it. Movie for us?, movie for them? I don't care. I liked it. And when I get around to watching the special features (probably some time next week), I'll probably be glad I bought the disc.

The weird coincidence part is that while we were watching it, a high school girl crashes her car right in front of our house and walks away from the crash. (Given the particulars of the accident, that wasn't surprising. No need to crank up the Twilight Zone music.) She walks past our house and several others to go back to her friend's house to call her parents.

(If the coincidence of this escapes you, you obviously haven't seen the movie yet. A car crash that someone walks away from is a plot point.)

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John2two on 2001-06-29 09:47 ]</font>
damonk13
Frequent Poster

Post by damonk13 »

GAH! Now I <i>really</i> have to see this!

*makes a note to start watching movies when they come out in the theatres*
frank "damonk" cormier
FRAMED!!!