New queer comix/storyboard...called "Faggot"

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

ragtag
Consistant Poster

New queer comix/storyboard...called "Faggot"

Post by ragtag »

Hi,

Check out http://www.ragtag.net/comix/fag for the comix Faggot. All feedback welcome (good, bad, critical, offensive and silly).

For other comix by me, check out http://www.ragtag.net/comix

Cheers,

Ragnar

p.s. If you find the title kind of offensive just think of it this way, I'm a homo trying to steal back the word faggot, we have managed to turn queer into a more positive word of our own....so why not faggot. :D
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

I thought you did an excellent job with this comic. I realize it was intended initially as a storyboard for a short film, but I think that actually worked for it -- it was a complete enough storyboard that it read clearly, and where you did use traditional storyboard techniques, it felt more like stylistic touches, rather than invasive elements of another medium. I'd actually be interested in seeing some experiments where you applied some of these storyboarding techniques with this specific intend of producing comics. I also really liked the artwork, sketchiness and all.

I thought the sex scene was handled perfectly -- it was openly and unapologetically erotic (which is important), but without crossing the line into "in your face" graphic sex. And there was an innocence to it as well -- even without dialogue, it was clear that this was a new, or at least uncommon, experience for both characters, as they each had their moments of uncertainty. It's clear that they both already had conceptions of themselves as being gay -- but neither one had much experience acting on those inclinations.

One thing I was unclear on was the very last panel. We have just seen the blonde boy run off, but now he is back by the dark-haired boy's side, but in different clothes (or, at least, without his jacket). This seems to imply that the dark-haired boy has been lying in the snow long enough for the blonde boy to run all the way home, change, and run all the way back. This would suggest some awfully severe injuries for the dark-haired boy, and possibly hypothermia. But I'm not sure. Basically, I feel like there are maybe two or three panels missing, which would make the very end a bit clearer.

The other thing I question is your title. Not because I find it offensive, but simply because I don't think it fits the story. First off, it left me expecting something much more political than this -- I expected either a scathing criticism of homophobia, or else a story where the central character was dealing with sexual identity/self loathing. Neither of these was the case. Yes, there was self-loathing on the part of the blonde-boy, yes there was a definite presense of homophobia, but the real heart of this story was the tenderness expressed between the two boys, and the blonde-boys betrayal of that tenderness. It's a tragic love story first, and "queer comics" second (which is, in my opinion, one of the hallmarks of genuinely good queer comics. Not that they be tragic, of course, but that they have a good story that trancends mere proclamation of sexual identity). The title really ought to reflect that. I understand about wanting to reclaim the word 'faggot,' but I think it's misplaced here. For comparison, I wouldn't like "Queer" as the title either -- it may have acheived a certain positive connotation, but only in the sense that it gives affirmation to the value of being different. It still wouldn't in any way reflect the real emotional center of your story.

That aside, I thought you did an excellent job. The plot easialy could have read like an After School Special, being too obvious and moralizing, or it could have read like a made for TV movie, being too sentimental and simplistic, but deftly avoided both of these pitfalls.

I definitely plan to read the rest of your comics. I already read "The Pillow Method," which I found, frankly, a bit disturbing, but kind of cool nonetheless. And I'm about to start "Tim."

Thanks for sharing your work!
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

This was a really good comic. The pacing was good. The art was nice. I was wondering are you planning on inking, coloring, or adding dialoge? It does not nessisarly need it, I kind of like it this way. However, like Alexander, I too have a little misunderstanding with the blond kid ... although I thought they were two different blond kids. Or if not, there had been time passed (the attacker's hair is slightly longer and straighter (no pun intended) than the boy in the flash back). My guess on the last panel was not that the attacker came back after beating the dark haired boy, but that the dark haired boy kept the good memory of the blond boy, no matter what happened. That is where the dark haired boy triumpts (ironicly after getting beat up and leaving the story hanging to see if he survies). It might be some value if we cleared up the matter with the blond boy/s. As much as would liek to keep it pencils, pehaps color (if done like the cover) could clear this up. Another idea would to provide a narative in the voice of the dark haired boy, speaking in the past tense.

I also read "The Pillow Method". I did like this comic, however not as much as "Faggot". The pacing and the art did not seem to get as much attention. I do appresiate the story, considering that I am a bi-sexual married man. I too have had to fight for a label. It is good to see that there are other people out there (also no pun) that go through the same things I do and still be light hearted about it.

I have not read any other of your comics yet, however I will definately take note for future viewing. Since we are all shameless promouting our comics, would you like to trade links?
Last edited by losttoy on Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtag
Consistant Poster

Post by ragtag »

Thanx for the replies.

I was a little concerned with the last panel, and had planned to redraw it. Then I got shipped of to London on almost no notice through work (which is where I'm writing this from), so I figured I would rather leave it like it is...and just get it out. I might, redo the last panel once I get back though.

As for the title. I went several rounds with that one, and was unsure if I was going to use it. The story was originally written in Norwegian and was called Soper (faggot in Norwegian), so it was kind of a direct translation of that. But, you're probably right, it's not appropriate for the story. Maybe, I should try to think up a better one.

Ragnar