FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
Looking for the most user friendly and cheap!.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Webcomics: COMMERCE
Previous: PostSubmissions Wanted Next: PostComictastic  
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for the most user friendly and cheap!. Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm getting geared up to commit to a website for the posting of my artwork among other things, and am curious as to ..what is a good user friendly and relatively cheap ( dirt cheap is more like it ) host for a site? I currently have a webpage with geocities.com and though the construction of that page is easy enough..it's small and very limited.
I would appreciate any advice from those who already run a site,so as I'll have an idea going in and not #@!%* up my first time out. Thanx Tim
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by 'user friendly'? It makes all the pages for you, or just not deliberately obtuse?

Can you handle an FTP client and either write HTML by hand or use an HTML editor? Is $5 a month cheap, or what's cheap?
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: User friendly websites Reply with quote

Well...5$ a month is most certainly cheap enough..not having the computer savvy that most of you out there possess,I tend to make these
questions more confusing than I intend..Sorry about that!. I suppose what it is that I'm looking for is..a site that is easy enough for the in-experienced to use..something that I can post easily to.. All in all..just something that lets me track hits..
and most importantly..post my art in an area that is a lot larger that the thumbnail space I get from my webpage. That problem alone confuses me..when I upload to my page..the image is always tiny and speck like..especially my strips. This could and probably is an error
on my behalf. And if so.I don't know how to correct it so the image is sharp and above all...distinguishable. My biggest concern with obtaining a site is the exposure for my art and how often that art is viewed whether it is liked or regarded as crap. Any help one could give to this misguided soul is appreciated..Thanx..Tim
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but you may have to learn something.

I use warped.com as a webhost. It's $5/month with a decent amount of disk space and bandwidth. It has a built in invisible page tracking thing, which I augment further with some of my own CGIs. They take PayPal, which helps me because I don't have a credit card.

To use it you'll need to know how to upload a file using a FTP client and how to make your own web pages (which will cure your tiny image problem). You could learn those by reading a book, or just get WS_FTP and a HTML editor and going through the instructions. I can't reccomend a HTML editor, because I write my pages in Notepad and Simpletext. Perhaps someone else here can.

Or, you can trawl around the internet until you find another service that has pre-made pages and all the junk you use now, but it's not going to be cheap.
reinder
Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your host supports PHP (like the cheap phpwebhosting.com or the free xepher.net ) you can use Gallery to post artwork. That requires no HTML knowledge to run although you will need HTML skills to change it from the defaults, or integrate it into your website. It also uses its own web-based uploading functionality. You will need to install it to your web server though.
To see it at work: http://xepher.net/~rocr/gallery/albums.php

And the program itself can be found at http://gallery.sourceforge.net/
Tha_Pig
Regular Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my personal experience, I would recommend Angelfire. Off course, that a matter of personal opinion. I guess there are a lot of other services out there I haven't tried.

The best thing about it is you can try it free and if you like it you can pay for more options and space. I had my page in Geocities for a while and the mayor problem I had was only a limited amount of people can visit your page a day, and the rest will find a message saying the page is not available. That's because they have limited bandwidth.

With Angelfire, you can buy extra bandwidth, and the prices are not too high. They have a very easy interface for uploading your files.

I won't recommend using any of the services that design the page for you, basically using a template you customize with your options, because then your page will look like every other page. Not very original. It pays to take a little extra time and learn some basic HTML skills.

A lot of authors use Keenspace for their comics. I tried it also and didn't like it. One thing I have noticed is all pages hosted in Keenpace take too long to load. I don't know if that's a problem with their servers, but its a common thing for every comic I know in Keenspace, to take a lot of times, some times several minutes to load the images, even from DSL connections. Also, lately Keenspace seems to have other problems and some times all just down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Webcomics: COMMERCE All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: