Comictastic

Micropayments, Macropayments, Subscriptions, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

davem
Forum Member

Comictastic

Post by davem »

I've just read about software called "Comictastic":

http://www.spiny.com/comictastic/

This is software that automatically downloads comics. Take a look- it may be useful for all of whose make webcomics

dave
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Dammit ! It's freeware !

*sigh* finally a reason to upgrade to OSX :D :D :D

If a payment system was integrated into this kind of software this might solve Scott McCloud's puzzler ! :D 8)
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I like the idea of this program which would make it easier to veiw your daily comics without spending hours online to visit each page ... however, are teh creators being paid for this? I have gone to the Houston Herald website to veiw several of my dailies and although this new program would give me more options, at least I know the Houston Paper pays the sydications with their subscription and advertising services. A moral question comes up when I read this (and the fact that I do not have OSX). :P
InkAddict
Consistant Poster

Post by InkAddict »

Major boon: No Ads
Major goon: No Ads thus no sponsoring thus no money for the creators if sponsors find out it bypasses the ads...

Well... there may be a solution in this too: what if you get to view the comics using this kind of program, but also get the ads WITHOUT the rest of the clutter (loading complicated pages), or what if you could pay directly for the comics you get *THIs* way...

What I'm thinking about is a double standard system:

OR you view the comics the regular way, and view the ads/sponsors thus contributing directly to the sponsoring (often it is the only way to get money for many authors)

OR you download them directly, and you pay a small amount to the program/comictastic system who in turn pays the authors DIRECTLY according to the number of downloads.

This could solve the micropayment issue:

Let's say I pay 5 $ to get access to/view TONS of comics (possible through paypal systems or other systems: the total sum is big enough to take in account the banking costs and hassle), while the authors get money following their reader audience.

This would need a solid database system (possibly with data sent to the organising system/server so they can keep track of what comics are viewed).

As the current program is still free, I hope this could grow into a solution for readers and creators alike!

Am I having delusions or is this viable? :roll:
Check out my new site (under construction) at: InkAddict