Serializer.net

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

Subscribing?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:58 am

Yes, a year.
60%
Maybe later.
40%
No.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Serializer.net

Post by Wikkit »

It has launched. I have my subscription. I'd like to discuss what people think of it, but I wasn't sure if it should go into art, commerce, or hype. Move as appropriate.

I subscribed for a year recognizing only Drew Weing's name, but he's always been nice to me, and that gets them all somewhere. Just check out the art in Pup.

I like my infinite canvas in comics, but the website design is a bit annoying. Maybe it's better at a wider resolution, but three links to every comic or it's creator is a bit much.

http://www.serializer.net/
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I subscribed for a year; I had heard of most of the artists before, and I liked all of their work.

Some of the artists on there are just amazingly good. There are some that are aquired tastes, but they all have something to offer.

I had been reading Drew Weing's Journal Comic for a while, and it's impressive, but that first 'Pup' is fantastic. Quite rewarding...

Tom hart, Demian5, Derek Kirk, Jason Turner... it's all good..
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

If I weren't broke, I would definitely have subscribed already. Hell, I'm thinking of subscribing anyway. I'm pretty excited about these comics.

As for the Web design -- it's pretty busy. I suspect a lot of these comics will be infinite canvas, so the designer incorporated that into the Web design. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

I am going to sign up as soon as I put money in my bank account. And yes, it was Drew Weing's Pup that drew me to Serializer, but I have also enjoyed the other artists in the past. This is the first time I'm actualy paying for a comic in years. :P
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

Post by japanimationfist »

If I can swing it next week I will. Half Empty, Pup, Magic Whistle, and about a half dozen others that I only discovered this mornign have all got my attention.

My problem now is that I have to stop reading some of what I am already reading in order to keep up.
Check out this week's <a href="http://www.monsterhollow.com">Featured Creature</a>
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

japanimationfist wrote:My problem now is that I have to stop reading some of what I am already reading in order to keep up.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Reading my comics each morning eats up far more time than I can really afford. If I had cable modem, it wouldn't be so bad, but over dial-up, it can take me a couple of hours to get through my comics.

Personally, I'm thinking of dropping all of AdventureStrips. None of the comics there update frequently enough to really hold my interest anyway. And none of the plots have excited me beyond a mild curiosity anyway.

Serializer, on the other hand, I'm quite jazzed about. It's much more to my taste. I have to confess, I'm not too familiar with many of the artists there, though. I adore Derek Kirk's work, and I've read and enjoyed some stuff from Jason Lexx over at Opi8. Demian5, I've tried to read, but I could never get his comics to load over dial-up. Just about everyone else is new to me, barring those folks who are also at ModernTales.
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

The number of artists there and a lack of time is part of why I got a year subscription. Then, instead of needing to read them all every day to find the ones I like, I can wait a few weeks or months, then start hitting the archives. I suppose I could have just waited a few months and gotten a month's subscription, but that wouldn't be very supportive.

Some of them already have archives with many strips. Some of the ones that seem unimpressive right now look to the unsubbed look better when you go through their archives.

I've already e-mailed Drew, I guess I'll have to e-mail him again so that he knows how many people he's drawing.

Ooh, webcomic pun. Boooo.
christopher

Post by christopher »

I really liked 'a dog and his elephant' and 'magic whistle'
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Post by Alexander D. »

Good point, Wikkit -- having the sub would definitely allow more freedom to read when time allows. And having access to archives would certainly be helpful. I've been reading Odd Jobs and Return of the Green Skull on ModerTales for at least a month or two now, and I still haven't the foggiest notion of what's going on in either. Archive access would sure be appreciated.

Well, when Longplay lauches, I'll almost certainly be subscribing to MT. Until then, I'm going to have to make do.
Drew Weing
Forum Member

Post by Drew Weing »

That "Pup" strip is okay, but have you guys checked out all the other cool stuff on Serializer? Crazy, man, crazy!
japanimationfist
Consistant Poster

Post by japanimationfist »

Watch that Weing kid, he's a sly one ;)

That Pup strip does kick it pretty hard though.
Check out this week's <a href="http://www.monsterhollow.com">Featured Creature</a>