Junk Bar

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Re: Poll on Franks appearance?

Post by Rip Tanion »

yuzaa wrote:So, is poll a bad idea to find out how people see Frank?
I'm all for a "Who does Frank remind you of?" poll.

Unfortunatly, if you're like me (and if your not, you should try to be) you would be hard pressed to vote for only one. Yuzaa's idea for a panl per panel poll ain't bad, but it might be cumbersome.

Meanwhile, while looking at one of the panels again, I think I saw Edward G. Robinson. Or am I just seeing things, now?

(Sorry, but I couldn't find a good enough photo of Eddie G. on the web for comparison.)

Myeeeaahhhh! Myeeeaaaahhhhhh! Where's your McCloud now, see?!
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Re: Poll on Franks appearance?

Post by Greg Stephens »

Rip Tanion wrote:(Sorry, but I couldn't find a good enough photo of Eddie G. on the web for comparison.)
What about this one?

Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

First off, thanks Christopher for explain it to me. I rreally do not see how I could have missed it. I guess I could not see the forest through the trees.

Second, to Scott ... Sorry I doubted you. I would not worrry too much about this mumbo-jumbo we have beeeen talking about.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

[Note to Greg: Having trouble logging in using IE 5.2 on OS X 10.2 all of a sudden. Did something change? I'm using Safari right now and got thru fine.]

I thought this was a fascinating discussion all in all!

Would've participated more but my right hand is still in bad shape from overuse so I have to keep typing to a minimum.

Thank you all for taking part (and for contributing/voting!).
Alexander D.
Consistant Poster

Re: Well here's what I think.

Post by Alexander D. »

Christopher Lundgren wrote:The choices offered to today's youth are staggering by comparison. With the state of comics and animation slowly-but-surely maturing, and with the world of manga and anime exploding into the American market (as represented by our Totoro-sporting young'n,) things must be tough for Frank. The favorites of his youth are old hat and he resents it.
One detail I would add to this excellent interpretation -- it's important to note that our young friend is not really so different from Frank. He doesn't come in looking for unique local fare. He comes in looking for a specific brand name candy in a specific tin bearing a particular liscensed character. And, of course, he is wearing his favorite liscensed trademark character on his media-merchandise T-shirt.

It's not hard to picture him 30 years down the road, in his espresso bar (Starbucks, of course), getting wasted on cinnamon Altoids and lattes, while bemoaning how kids today want BELGIAN comics, when Japanese comics were good enough for everybody back in his day. And then he will yearn for Totoro, and his heart will break.
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster

Re: Well here's what I think.

Post by Cyborg Caveman »

Alexander D wrote:It's not hard to picture him 30 years down the road, in his espresso bar (Starbucks, of course), getting wasted on cinnamon Altoids and lattes, while bemoaning how kids today want BELGIAN comics, when Japanese comics were good enough for everybody back in his day. And then he will yearn for Totoro, and his heart will break.

HAHAHAHAHA! Beautiful! Good thinking!
Greg O.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Scott McCloud wrote:[Note to Greg: Having trouble logging in using IE 5.2 on OS X 10.2 all of a sudden. Did something change? I'm using Safari right now and got thru fine.]
Nope, nothing's changed in the way the forum functions for quite some time. I'd suggest clearing all cookies for zwol.org and trying again. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Mac with OS X in order to test things (but I'm getting closer to buying one every day- spending a week reinstalling Windows over and over isn't my idea of a good time. Hmm... Microsoft software probably powers the computer in the back office of the Junk Bar). You may be better off with Safari in general, since I hear it's an excellent browser and superior to MSIE (though, of the MSIE browsers, the Mac version is by far better than the Windows version for functionality, features and compatiblity).

Logging in, and sometimes remaining logged in after a length of time, remains a problem for some people. Much of it is a mystery to me, but please feel free to make a thread in the Forum Forum and I'll see what I can do.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Working fine now, btw.

Thank you, as always for maintaining this board Greg.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

It's my pleasure. With M.I. back in action, it's great to see the posting picking up again.