"Choose our Next Title" question

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

wansley
Frequent Poster

"Choose our Next Title" question

Post by wansley »

I think it would be interesting to know how much each new "Morning Improv" comic received as votes/donations now that the "Choose our Next Title" system is in place, assuming Scott McCloud is willing to share the information and it isn't too much extra work on his part.

I would like to see each new "Morning Improv" labeled with the number of votes it received as well as the total number of votes all the titles in the set of ten it was chosen from received. I would also like to see a running total of all votes cast for "Morning Improv" titles, perhaps placed near the "Morning Improv" logo.

(I would also like to know if the losing titles from each set of ten are discarded or put back into the pool to be chosen from again.)

I think this would provide very interesting feedback on how well this new experiment in micropayments is working. What do the rest of you think? Would this infomation interest you? Is it a terrible idea? Am I just being really nosy?

William Ansley
yuzaa
Forum Member

suggestions and votes

Post by yuzaa »

Not a bad idea at all! Regular updates of votes and stuff would probably be rather burdensome for Mr. McCloud, but even some info about the voting would be really neat.

Also, I've been wondering how many suggestions are submitted in a day..
NatGertler
Regular Poster

Post by NatGertler »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for. Scott has already been running an occasionally-updated status of the current vote over on the left hand side of this page:

http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html
wansley
Frequent Poster

I'm so misunderstood!

Post by wansley »

NatGertler wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for. Scott has already been running an occasionally-updated status of the current vote over on the left hand side of this page:

http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html
Yes, you are misunderstanding what I want.

The totals you point to above are only for the current title vote. I don't know what the final number of votes that resulted in "Somnivore" being selected was, but I would like to. Since Scott has to calculate the running totals anyway, what I would like would be to have him list the final total number of votes for each winning title and the total number of votes cast for the group of ten it was chosen from next to each comic. So for "Somnivore" it might say:

Somnivore received 312 out of 1159 votes. (I am making these numbers up, of couse.)

I would also like to have Scott put the total number of votes cast somewhere on the Morning Improv page. So after Somnivore's voting closed the MI page would say:

1159 votes cast

and after the next title is chosen, it would say:

2098 votes cast (for example)

Now if Scott doesn't want to reveal how much he is making from the MI title voting tips, I understand completely, but I am interested in knowing if the number of votes tails off after the novelty has worn off or increases as more people find out about Scott's web site through BitPass, etc., and if Scott posted the kind of info I am asking for, it will make it very easy to tell what's going on with the voting trends.

So call me nosy and *extremely* lazy.

William Ansley