Music!

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

melquiades
Forum Member

Re: Piano

Post by melquiades »

Greg Stephens wrote:
melquiades wrote:For those who like the sound of a piano, I just this last week started a music blog inspired in part by the Morning Improv, in which I'm posting two new recordings <i>every week</i>, a mixture of polished compositions and complete improvs.
That's a very cool project- Good luck with updating this stuff.
Thanks, and thanks! I may need a little luck ... though I did manage to talk myself out of trying to post a <i>daily</i> improv piece. (Even Scott does only one panel a day!)

I wonder if any other musicians are doing things like this? I couldn't find any, but I'll bet there's something similar out there somewhere....
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

William G wrote:I guess the plan is to bore the Fantastic Four to death with six hours of Garcia playing scales. ;-)
Hey, Jerry only played scales for half the show; usually the latter half, after he had taken a bunch of drugs during internmission. :P

Actually, I saw the sans-Jerry Dead at Jones Beach, a few weeks ago, and a Metallica show broke out.

I was going to take the Mole-man image off my server, but now I guess I'm stuck with it.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Bishounen Hunter S
Forum Member

Post by Bishounen Hunter S »

*waves hello to Scott for the first time*

The two best bands I can think of to recommend to you are; The Delgados and Queens Of The Stone Age.
QOTSA is one of my favorite bands. Not only do they have a great sound, but they also have a sense of fun, and don't take themselves too seriously.

Well, those are the best I could think of in the taste range of your list.
If you want me to recommend to any outside that range, let me know.
Steven Perez AKA Bishounen Hunter S @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,-'-,
Lover of Males and Females, and quite Kinky to boot! @}|--'--,-`-,-`-,
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Re: Just looking at what is on the shelf right now...

Post by ChrisCO »

Rip Tanion wrote:I'm an old school headbanger from the '80s - and damn proud of it.
Me too! I seem to be one of the few headbangers where I live (and only female). Unfortunately, country music is the favorite genre here (Opera and country are probably the two genres I really can't listen too). Sigh, now I am beginning to feel my age! :D
romantic realist
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

A pox upon thee woman! Johnny Cash is and always has been the king.

Though I must say that none of us can claim a lack of Rob Halfred in our lives.
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

William G wrote:Johnny Cash is and always has been the king.
Cash . . . king? Nope, sorry Elvis.
William G wrote:Though I must say that none of us can claim a lack of Rob Halfred in our lives.
Priest, hmm wonder if I still have my studded belts someplace?
romantic realist
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

beh, Elvis learned everything about attitude from Cash. Cash rocked harder and longer than anyone. Old fatty's rokken days ended the second Col. Parker got a hold of him.

And he wore black because he was a bad-ass, not because he was some Norwegean death metal pansy over-compensating for being European.

Cash is a god, bow before your better, child.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

ChrisCO wrote:
Rip Tanion wrote:I'm an old school headbanger from the '80s - and damn proud of it.
Me too! I seem to be one of the few headbangers where I live (and only female). Unfortunately, country music is the favorite genre here (Opera and country are probably the two genres I really can't listen too). Sigh, now I am beginning to feel my age! :D
My kind o' gal! We metal-heads and old-farts (or alter-kakers, as my grandmother used to say) gotta stick together. :wink:

Actually, after having dated a few gals from Dixie, over the years, I've grown an appreciation for some of the more classic country, as well as the "shit-kicker" music that's on the juke at Yogi's.
ChrisCO wrote:
William G wrote:Though I must say that none of us can claim a lack of Rob [Halford] in our lives.
Priest, hmm wonder if I still have my studded belts someplace?
As I post this, I am truly Living After Midnight. Got a picture of yourself in those studded belts? :wink:

Actually, a friend of mine is friends with Jimmy Duff, formerly of of the Bellevue Bar (he recently sold his share of the place to Mason "Borgasmord" Reese), is supposedly buddies with Halford. Maybe, one day soon I'll get to meet this Metal God, and maybe even get backstage when Priest tours next year.

As for The Man In The White Jumpsuit vs The Man In Black: Cash is King is the buisness world, but I gotta agree with Chris (and not just because I like sucking-up to the female posters) - Johnny was a legend, but Elvis is THE KING of rock'n' roll.

Thenk yew. Thenk yew ver' much.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Elvis was the 50s version of Justin Timberlake.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

William G wrote:Elvis was the 50s version of Justin Timberlake.
That's just mean. What have you got against Elvis? Next thing you'll be saying is that today's Elvis is Steven Segal.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

UGH! I think I just lost my lunch. Elvis and Timberlake in the same sentence! Oops I did it again. :wink: I guess that means Christina Aguilera is the 'new millenium' version of Etta James.

Quick note: I happen to like all of the above performers.
romantic realist
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

Rip Tanion wrote:. . .Yogi's. . . . Bellevue Bar
Haven't been to either place and no longer live on the East Coast. NYC bar and dance days were the first two years of college. :)
Rip Tanion wrote:Got a picture of yourself in those studded belts? :wink:
Never really liked getting my picture taken--sorta shy. I can thankfully say that I did not have the New Jersey headbanger hair.
Rip Tanion wrote: but I gotta agree with Chris (and not just because I like sucking-up to the female posters)
And here I thought you liked me for my personality. :)
romantic realist
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

I seriously doubt anybody will be buying Justin Timberlake compilations 40 years from now. I doubt he will inspire generations of singers and musicians. I doubt people will be making pilgrimages to tour his home.

Next, you'll be comparing the Beatles to New Kids On The Block.

Greg Stephens wrote:Next thing you'll be saying is that today's Elvis is Steven Segal.
Will he be touring with Regis?
ChrisCO wrote:
Rip Tanion wrote:. . .Yogi's. . . . Bellevue Bar
Haven't been to either place and no longer live on the East Coast. NYC bar and dance days were the first two years of college. :)
Yogi's used to be the Bear Bar on the West Side. Bellevue Bar is right near Port Authority, and it hasn't been around that long.

If you don't mind me asking, Chris, where in New York did you go to school? What were your favorite hang outs?
ChrisCO wrote:And here I thought you liked me for my personality.
Of course I do, darlin'. Of course I do. :wink:
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

Rip Tanion wrote:If you don't mind me asking, Chris, where in New York did you go to school? What were your favorite hang outs?
I went to Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY.

Favorite hangouts were around the Lower East Side and some in Chinatown. A friend in college dated a guy from that area. Went to a number of dance clubs and bars (don't remember the name of most of them). The guy was in a band so we saw a lot of 'unique' places. Never got carded until after I turned 21. The band wasn't bad either; can't remember their name though. I do remember we went to 'The Tunnel' a number of times. That was very interesting.

My brother is now in a couple of bands and I'll have to ask him if he has heard of Yogi's and/or Bellevue Bar.
romantic realist
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

ChrisCO wrote:[quote="Rip TanionIf you don't mind me asking, Chris, where in New York did you go to school? What were your favorite hang outs?
Ugh . . . see what happens when you don't preview your post! :oops:
romantic realist
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

ChrisCO wrote:Ugh . . . see what happens when you don't preview your post!
As a registered user, you should have an "edit" button to fix stuff like that. But in the meantime, I fixed it for you.
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

Greg Stephens wrote:As a registered user, you should have an "edit" button to fix stuff like that. But in the meantime, I fixed it for you.
Hmmm . . . guess I am having a blonde moment :wink:
romantic realist

Post by Guest »

Eminem is today's Elvis.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Everyone should experience William Shatner's latest audio work, "Has Been". Truly, he will be the Elvis of the 23rd century.

Really, it's probably a lot better than you think it is.

On a different note, a CD that a friend loaned to me recently and I listened to quite often during my October cross-country vacation, is "Long Distance" by a group called Ivy. I don't think it's a CD for the ages, or one that's head and shoulders above the rest, but it is very listenable and gets into your head so that you're humming the songs later without even realizing it.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Mike Doughty's latest 2-disk album, Skittish/Rockity Roll, won't leave my CD player. It's been hogging it up for the last two weeks. I keep trying to put something else in but Doughty keep going back in for more. These songs are mostly him and a guitar, so if you're looking for Soul Coughing part 2 go elsewhere.

While I'm here I should hype a couple of independents: Blu Sanders from Texas and Granian from New Jersey. Good stuff.
Steven
Forum Member

music

Post by Steven »

I have some pretty strong feelings about music, and in response to Scott's enquiry, I'd be glad to share some recommendations. If you're interested in delicate melodies somewhere between Simon and Garfunkel and depression era bluegrass, Iron and Wine retains my interest pretty well ("Our Endless Numbered Days", "The Creek Drank the Cradle", and the "Woman King" EP). For things along the lines of Radiohead (experimental electronic pop), I would suggest Notwist's "Neon Golden" (very eclectic with very interesting song structures) and Ms John Soda's "No P or D" (kind of IDM, one of my favorite CDs). Low's last handful of albums are indispensible ("The Great Destroyer", "Trust", and "Secret Name") a very slow burn group, stellar songwriting, when they grow on you it's hard to shake. Piano Magic's "Low Birth Weight" and "The Troubled Sleep of Piano Magic" are fantastic, mostly rhythm based songwriting with some Disco Inferno (the group, not the song) and Cocteau Twins influences. I've enjoyed a lot of songs from the group Cyann and Ben, but not everything (what is good is great though.)

Finally, Broadcast (which is really the only pop group on the extremely experimental WARP label) is wonderful. Graceful distracted singing over 60sish drumwork and "psychadelic" melodies (inspired by The United States of America, I think, maybe some Jefferson Airplane.) Their three albums are all worth looking for.

I love all of these and hope some of you look them up.
DOOM2099
Regular Poster

Post by DOOM2099 »

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I believe the most accomplished album ever written was Operation:Mindcrime by Queensryche. You have to listen to this at least twice, preferrably on headphones at full volume. And read the lyrics if you can. This has been my favorite album since the day it came out. My tastes have fluctuated over the years, from Metallica to Maiden to Rush to Thin Lizzy to Fleetwood Mac and Rod Stewart (check out Footloose and Fancy Free, it will make you cry like a girl), but through all the years, this one album has been my constant companion. I cannot put it down.

PS It seems to really appeal to nerds, with the complex arrangements and heaping loads of conspiracy theory/symbolism/whodunnit/political thriller piled on there. No description can do it justice, it must be heard to be understood.

Also, these guys are really good.

http://www.burninginwater.com/
________
Human papillomavirus (hpv) advice
Last edited by DOOM2099 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Yeah, it's probably a good time to add something to the music suggestion topic. I've recently been listening to Kate Bush's "Aerial" over and over and over.
ChrisCO
Regular Poster

Post by ChrisCO »

DOOM2099 wrote:...Operation:Mindcrime by Queensryche...
Yep, that has always been in my favorite top ten list! They did a tour of that album again (it was last fall). I was unable to see them, but everyone who did said it was awesome!
romantic realist