Need help starting webcomic.

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

PingTiao
Forum Member

Need help starting webcomic.

Post by PingTiao »

I still love print, but cant afford to go that route for at least another couple years when I graduate... and then some I imagine. What I'd like is all the advice I can get on what's needed, tips and tricks, links to all the information that could be useful to me, how to get a free website that isnt a myspace or something, how to pimp my wares, how to make some money, a step by step of what I need to do, yadda yadda. I really wanna get something going in my comic creating life, test myself against deadlines and critics and lack of technological know how. Any and all help is appreciated.

Ping
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Okay, wait a second... Does webcomics have two Pings?
PingTiao
Forum Member

Post by PingTiao »

Well, Ping is a common Chinese name I believe, like John in the states. If there is another ping, he may actually be asian, in which case you can call me "White Ping", as I am a cracker with an asian nick. So, I have no "official" webcomic myself, just "Squirrels on Crack" in my myspace blog. What do I need to learn to make websites? HTML? Flash? Adobe GoLive? Still seeking help.

Ping
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Actually, "she"...

The easiest way to get your webcomic cherry popped is to head over to Comic Genesis:

http://www.comicgenesis.com/

They've held many a new creator's hand. Just watch out for the group-think there, or else you'll never try to grow beyond them

As for the rest of it, you'll have to decided what sort of comic you're planning to make. But Photoshop or Illustrator are almost impossible to live without.

Though, if you dont mind freeware google "GIMP download" It's a Linux program with a Windows version. Being Linux means it's like the Soviet Union of programs... but it manages to work none the less.
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Post by Tim Tylor »

Paint Shop Pro is another option. It's cheaper than the full Photoshop and can do most of the same things; Jeff Darlington uses it for GPF. There's also Photoshop Elements, but I don't know much about that.