Talk at Ohio State

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Talk at Ohio State

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Hey Scott

I'm planning on going to see you talk on Feb 11th. Do you know what time? If it's free and is it open to the public for that matter?
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Found it! Here's what the catalog said:

"Lecture
Scott McCloud
The Future of Comics: The Design Challenges of Online Comics
Wednesday, February 11 / 7 pm
Wexner Center Film/Video Theater
Cosponsored by Ohio State?s Cartoon Research Library
Free admission

Cartoonist and author Scott McCloud explores the collision of art and technology as comics move onto the web. In this presentation, McCloud will show examples of some of the thousands of cartoonists that have been using technology to broaden their audiences and reinvent their art form. McCloud has been writing and drawing independent comic books since 1984. His most recent book, Reinventing Comics, explores the potential of comics in digital environments."

Sounds about right!
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Thanks! :D
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Just wanted to that Scott again! The talk was great and it was awesome to meet him. Everyone and anyone should go to one of his talks if they have the chance. If for no other reason than the posssiblity of hearing/seeing Scott do a dramatic reading of Monkey Town XD.

Oh yeah also I have to thank Scott for finally repairing what I've always thought was a glaring hole in Understanding Comics by including Calvin and Hobbes in his examples and later mentioning Bill Watterson. :D
wiseanduncanny
Forum Member

Post by wiseanduncanny »

Definitely a great talk. Lots of food for thought, plus some of the most beautiful use of Powerpoint I've ever seen.

Thanks for reading both Improvs with titles I suggested. I was very flattered and my students got a kick out of it, too!
--sean
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

This is borderline hype, but I made a Journal Comic a couple days ago about the Ohio State Talk: http://krislachowski.250free.com/JC21104.html
Terrepin

Scott's power point

Post by Terrepin »

I've seen Scott give a presentation twice now (both at Ohio State... keep coming back, please!), and it's always fun to hear the crowd gasp when his power point kicks into fast speed (such as when he covers his childhood in something like 8 slides in 3 seconds... :D

My presentations at work have never been the same since seeing Scott's talks... :)
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Hey Kris,

First thing, sorry I did not have the time to read all of your 24 hour comic. It was an odd night at MWC and my back was killing me and I currently on three different pain killers and a mussle relaxer for my back. I do want a copy of your comic all for myself one day.

Second thing, I wish I could have gone to see Scott McCloud. Is he going to speak in Michigan anytime soon? Would make a good feild-trip. You will have to make a copy of the taped speach for me and bring it to the next MWC meeting (at is I hope you are coming).

See you all around.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

losttoy wrote:Hey Kris,

First thing, sorry I did not have the time to read all of your 24 hour comic. It was an odd night at MWC and my back was killing me and I currently on three different pain killers and a mussle relaxer for my back. I do want a copy of your comic all for myself one day.
Here ye be: http://krislachowski.250free.com/TPpt1.html read it at your leisure.
losttoy wrote: You will have to make a copy of the taped speach for me and bring it to the next MWC meeting (at is I hope you are coming).

See you all around.
Hmmm... I intend to come to the next meeting, but I don't know about the make a copy thing... first off I don't really know if i'd be able to. Secondly, it's probably illegal or something... what do you think Scott? Of course maybe that would put him on the spot because if he says it's ok then next thing you know there will be millions of bootleg scott mccloud tapes all over the world, but if he says no he might sound not as nice as usual.
Ben Sutter
Regular Poster

Post by Ben Sutter »

I learned a lot from the talk. As Scott spoke, a half-dozen ideas sprung into my head about the possibilities of the internet. Plus, it was absolutely hilarious. Plus, it took a lot of comic-oriented people and put them together in a single room! The turnout was nice!

Here's to hoping that Scott might return to Ohio State once again.
I've decided that signatures are redundant.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

If Scott reads this, he should video tape his lectures (so we could get his words and his "beautiful use of Powerpoint") and sell them on his site. We read Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics and I Can't Stop Thinking. We all would want to see what more he has to say as he actualy speaks and interacts with the audiance. Especialy us sad folks that are not within driving distance to one of his talks.

Think about it.

Oh Kris, I am not asking you to sell the tape as a money making venture. It was a FREE presenation when you recorded it. If you were worried about copyright you would not have made it in the first place ... right? However if you do not make a copy, can I at least barrow it? :P