But no one ever mentioned the walrus

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

gareis

Post by gareis »

Mr. McCloud seems to be having a bit of trouble with names in this comic. Perhaps it's because he's On The Road.

A Kerouac reference this time. It's barely mid-brow.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Maybe she's a different person. I'm sure more than one woman works there.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Heck, how do we know the walrus isn't a female crossdresser?
Random Dent
Forum Member

Post by Random Dent »

Well, Stuart and Stephan are two different people-
And who knows what lies beyond the panel.
Just realized- all the backgrounds are the same. Some sort of signifigance?
"One can not be a good dicator and design women's underclothings."
-Jeeves, The Code of the Woosters
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

Random Dent wrote: Just realized- all the backgrounds are the same. Some sort of signifigance?
I think it implies that each panel is occuring in the same place.

Here's a geeky question: at what portion of C would you have to be traveling away from Scott for the real time of this strip's creation to elapse in the 5 minutes of the strip's inner chronolgy?
Kris Lachowski

I think the point is...

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Anonymous wrote:Mr. McCloud seems to be having a bit of trouble with names in this comic. Perhaps it's because he's On The Road.
I think the point is that despite the number of people and names running around nobody notices the walrus.
Stephen

What does it look like, Stephen?

Post by Stephen »

It looks like a sheet of paper...with words on it, some of them speld incorectly. By the way, Bernice, did anyone notice the walrus?
Bernice

Re: What does it look like, Stephen?

Post by Bernice »

Stephen wrote:By the way, Bernice, did anyone notice the walrus?
Silly boy, nobody ever notices the walrus. By the way, Stephen, if you took the time to read the note, it says "Meet me at the Oasis Motel during lunch hour. Don't forget to stop off at the drugstore, first. I'll bring the bondage equipment."
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Drawing with a trackball

Post by Greg Stephens »

Well, with today's panel, I don't think there's any need for the title (currently in the lead for voting) "Bad Art Day" to merit a whole new improv. It seems it's already here!
Corax
Forum Member

Post by Corax »

Yeeeeikes. Is Scott going to be sans functional tablet for several days in a row? A mouse would be infinitely preferable to a trackpad; it's a bit slower because it's a different way of drawing and you pretty much rely solely on the line/pen/curve tools, but you'd get something a little less, ah, scribbly.

That's pretty good for a trackpad, though. :D
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

I've never tried drawing with a trackpad, but I would think that if you can zoom in much further than usual when drawing, and had enough patience, you might ("might") be able to draw some reasonably good lines. Even so, I would expect that it would take considerably longer to do the same quality of work than Scott usually spends on the M.I. But then again, I've never attempted such a thing with a trackpad.
Kris Lachowski

What's a track pad?

Post by Kris Lachowski »

What's a track pad and how does everyone know that's what he's using?
Tim Tylor
Consistant Poster

Re: What's a track pad?

Post by Tim Tylor »

Kris Lachowski wrote:What's a track pad and how does everyone know that's what he's using?
I didn't know either, but great is Google:

http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?trackpad
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Kris Lachowski wrote:What's a track pad and how does everyone know that's what he's using?
Tim answered the first question handily, but as to the second, it's in the dialogue for the panel that he put up yesterday- the one with all the "scribbling."

Post by Guest »

Can anyone make out what it says on the door, btw? :p

As far as I can see it's Redmond, Fenwick & ... ? Completely irrelevant, I'm sure, but still :D
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Anonymous wrote:Can anyone make out what it says on the door, btw?

As far as I can see it's Redmond, Fenwick & ... ? Completely irrelevant, I'm sure, but still.
There were some posts about this on the first page of the thread, including a flipped and zoomed-in image. Though the image is gone, now, some of the guesses remain.
Kris Lachowski

Post by Kris Lachowski »

greg stephens wrote:Tim answered the first question handily, but as to the second, it's in the dialogue for the panel that he put up yesterday- the one with all the "scribbling."
Yeah sorry i saw that later. I think I was so distracted by the irratic lines nothing in the word ballons registered. I just saw them and my mind registered anger.
gareis

Post by gareis »

One of the ClipExecutives said "I have no mouth and I must scream." That's the title of a sci-fi novel by Harlan Ellison.

***SPOILERS***

In it, five humans are spared by an omnipotent machine to alleviate boredom, but one of them seeks to deny the machine its fun by killing everyone in the world. In the end, he's trapped and converted into a giant slug-like creature with no voice, giving name to the novel.

***END SPOILER BLOCK***

Funny thing is, I heard that on h2g2 a couple days ago. I wonder if Scott McCloud heard it there also.

~gareis
Corax
Forum Member

Post by Corax »

Greg Stephens wrote:I've never tried drawing with a trackpad, but I would think that if you can zoom in much further than usual when drawing, and had enough patience, you might ("might") be able to draw some reasonably good lines. Even so, I would expect that it would take considerably longer to do the same quality of work than Scott usually spends on the M.I. But then again, I've never attempted such a thing with a trackpad.
I have doodled around in MS Paint with a trackpad, although I've never attempted anything close to MI-caliber. It's hard. About as hard, or even harder, than doing the same thing freehand with a mouse, even if you zoom in.
alsis37
Forum Member

Hmm ??

Post by alsis37 »

I can't shake the suspicion that it's all a metaphor for the Governor's race. No, I don't know why. Too much caffeine, perhaps ?...
"...It's like my birthday every day
'Cause Mr. Monk is such a ray of wisdom and light
You know he dried all the fears from my eyes
And in time
All time
Will be time..."

--- The Negro Problem
NewAgeMilhouse

Post by NewAgeMilhouse »

please tell me that these little interlude things will be edited out after Scott gets his tablet back.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

But no one ever noticed Gary Coleman?
D.V. Caputo

Post by D.V. Caputo »

Call me crazy, but Scott's lack of a tablet has resulted in a pretty funny comic. I hope that he keeps those interlude panels in.XD
ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

Post by ShadowCaster »

I don't think they should be put out, they are part of the history of the comic. Maybe a link to a "clean version" of the warlus without these pannels and some explanation of why the pannels look like that could be put under the pannels but it's an experimental comic and a funny intrusion of reality (pen lost) in the comic. Maybe a source of future inspiration (anyone want to start a 24h 100% track pad webcomic contest :-? )