But no one ever mentioned the walrus

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Josiah Rowe
Regular Poster

Post by Josiah Rowe »

Cyborg Caveman wrote:Shrimp? She means Bernice, right?
That was Bernice, calling poor Cathy "shrimp". Scott's really pulling all the stops to make us sympathize with Cathy, isn't he? And it's working (at least for me!)
Cyborg Caveman wrote:
IronSpike wrote:HA.

Eat it, Stephen.
Ah, let em alone. He was okay. He was probably distracted with covertly staring at Cathy while writing that invoice.
Oh, I don't think his staring at Cathy was very covert -- not a subtle fellow, our Stephen.

Besides, serves him right for the way he dismissed poor Cathy when she tried to tell him about it:Image
Doc MacDougal
Frequent Poster

Post by Doc MacDougal »

I think you're mixing up Cathy and Susan.
Cyborg Caveman
Frequent Poster

Post by Cyborg Caveman »

Doc MacDougal wrote:I think you're mixing up Cathy and Susan.
If you mean that other guy, then yeah. If you mean me it seems I had a brainfart and mixed up Susan and Bernice.
Greg O.
Hunter of Wisdom
Regular Poster

Post by Hunter of Wisdom »

Poor Susan. People can't even remember her name ;).
pen ward
Forum Member

Post by pen ward »

dude... susan is totally going to sneeze on the walrus...
and then she will notice her sneeze on the walrus' face..
and to her it will just be floating around in mid air.. like a ghost sneeze.. and she is going to faint
and the walrus.. will eat her.

10 bucks says that is how scott mccloud is going to end it.

at least the sneeze part.

Post by Guest »

I'll be the foolish optimist and say:
YES! Someone finally noticed him!
Jimmy Ho
Forum Member

Heads and Memory

Post by Jimmy Ho »

Regarding the (precolombian?) "head things" and for what it's worth: at first sight, they reminded me of the huge stone heads at the end of Vol 714 pour Sidney (Flight 714 to Sidney), one of Herg?'s Tintin adventures.
Then again, I grew up in France some decades ago, and Tintin had naturally a large part in my basic comics education (along with Ast?rix, which I've always preferred, Pif, and a few others, but no superheroes), hence the immediate reminiscence (however, after checking it, I have to admit the heads in Tintin are different, and they are located in some island in the Indian Ocean).
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Susan notices the Walrus (Brimley)

Post by Rip Tanion »

Is this finally the Payoff?
IF we assume both of the following conditions are true:
a) Scott is NOT once again jerking our chain, by deking us into thinking someone is actually noticing the Walrus (Brimley), when in fact he/she is actually noticing someone behind the Walrus (Wilfred); but, on the contrary, Susan is INDEED noticing the Walrus (Pop Fisher)
AND
b) NOBODY, in the course of the story, can, or will, ever notice the Walrus (It the right thing to do!), because the title tells us NOBODY Ever Noticed the Walrus (check your blood-sugar and check it often), and we assume title does NOT contradict the story.

THEN we can conclude that Susan, by one person's social definition, or another, IS a NOBODY, and thus IS totally capable of noticing the Walrus (there's just no reason NOT to!)

ELSE Susan is noticing Doc Pettibone (IF that's his real name), lurking in the shadows, waiting for all to leave, so he can secretly unfurl his nefarious, un-American scheme.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Josiah Rowe
Regular Poster

Post by Josiah Rowe »

There's a lot of that brain-farting going around, it seems. What I meant to say was,
Josiah Rowe wrote:
Cyborg Caveman wrote:Shrimp? She means Bernice, right?
That was Bernice, calling poor Susan "shrimp". Scott's really pulling all the stops to make us sympathize with Susan, isn't he? And it's working (at least for me!)
Cyborg Caveman wrote:
IronSpike wrote:HA.

Eat it, Stephen.
Ah, let em alone. He was okay. He was probably distracted with covertly staring at Cathy while writing that invoice.
Oh, I don't think his staring at Cathy was very covert -- not a subtle fellow, our Stephen.

Besides, serves him right for the way he dismissed poor Susan when she tried to tell him about it:Image
Tomorrow: the brimley-boggling conclusion? And on to "The Accidental Dentist"?
pen ward
Forum Member

Post by pen ward »

come onnn... she's just talking to herself. she's going to whip out a sock puppet of stuart and ask it out to dinner.. and then the sock puppet will say yes... and then they will smooch.. and then the walrus will faint... and susan will eat the walrus.
Iain
Forum Member

Post by Iain »

Maybe Susan is talking to herself, saying "Yeah, everyone ELSE actually has something to have already left for, whereas I have no life and am thus the last one here."

- iain hamp

Post by Guest »

I'm assuming you've all noticed this, but the brimley is not bordered in black, like the rest of the characters in the strip. He's officially been noticed, and thus crosses over into "real character"

Post by Guest »

Bah! I meant "now bordered in black". You know, since he wasn't before...

And it turns out I have a user name....

Post by Guest »

...but the title is "mentionned", not "noticed".
Eggs Benedict

Post by Eggs Benedict »

Josiah Rowe wrote:There's a lot of that brain-farting going around, it seems.
Whoever smelt it, dealt it!
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Anonymous wrote:...but the title is "mentionned", not "noticed".
The title of this forum topic is "mentioned" but the title of the comic is "noticed." (Yes, the topic name can be changed, but since the mistake itself was a topic of discussion, it seems wrong to change it- Especially since it's served well enough for 13 pages!)
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
buzzard
Frequent Poster

Post by buzzard »

The walrus being outlined in black is just because he's in the foreground of the frame; he was as outlined (I think) at the beginning before he sat down. Once sitting, he was back from the foreground, and so, like everything else further away, he's slightly faded out (I think) and not as heavily outlined.

The problem with Rip's theory of Susan as "Nobody" is that the title is "No One Ever Noticed", not "Nobody Ever Noticed".
Josiah Rowe
Regular Poster

Post by Josiah Rowe »

So Susan is no one. That works too...

So, is there a fish dinner in our brimley's future?
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

No one is nobody, nobody is no one. Nothing is everything, everything is nothing. No one but the Beatles ever noticed the Nowhere Man OR the Walrus (Goo-goo-ga-joob) Just Who in the office is making all the nowhere plans for nobody?

My brain hurts.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Gah, she's so cute!

Post by Guest »

DecafSilion is right, Rip Tanion sounds like a Beatles fan on drugs.
Axord

Post by Axord »

Heh. The brimley seems so happy to just be noticed. Finally! Acknowledgement!

Either that, or he's got kittie reflexes and Suse is scratching him behind the ear....
Aquilo
Forum Member

Post by Aquilo »

Wow! His name actually is Brimley. What an amazingly crazy coincidence!

And, yes, she is indeed cute.

I wonder what our walrus friend came here for in the first place.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Brimley. Heh. Crazy.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.