Favorite M.I. so far? (Part II: 4/2002 - 12/2003)

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

What's your favorite M.I. of these 10?

Proto The Pet
4%
The Parallelogram's Revenge
4%
Uninformed Bob
14%
Zen Dating
4%
Monkey Town
21%
Scott McCloud ? I know you are reading this. Choose one of the many titles I have submitted.
11%
Junk Bar
11%
Somnivore
18%
The Evil That Men Forget To Do
7%
But No One Ever Noticed the Walrus
7%

Total votes: 28

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Favorite M.I. so far? (Part II: 4/2002 - 12/2003)

Post by Greg Stephens »

An earlier poll thread listed 10 M.I. comics for voting, and since we have 10 more since then (I left off "Proto the Pet" from the first poll due to some error on my part), it's time for another vote.
Last edited by Greg Stephens on Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
IronSpike
Regular Poster

Post by IronSpike »

"Somnivore." No contest.

Well... maybe "Uninformed Bob" runs a distant second. But my favorite's definitely "Somnivore." Super creepy.
Jimmy Ho
Forum Member

Post by Jimmy Ho »

The main reason I voted for "Uninformed Bob" is that it is a successful example of exercice de style (in the Raymond Queneau/Oulipo meaning) in a comic form. As a secondary reason, I appreciated the "Newspaper funnies" parodical effect.
As I'm writing this, I'm still the only one, but who knows.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

Where is Robots Love to Dance? (edit due to html error...) I like the current one, and parallelogram, but they don't have robots. Mmm, dancing robots...
Last edited by Surlyben on Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Y'know, Greg. It might be kind of confusing with the topic heading.

Maybe we should change the thread title to Favorite *Recent* Improvs. (you don't really need "Proto" in there -- nobody, but NOBODY liked that one).

--Scott
buzzard
Frequent Poster

Post by buzzard »

Actually, I liked Proto a lot. The art style was very playful. Or rather, there was a sense of playfulness to the process of choosing the art style, something we only see now and again (junk bar, when luna smiles). So I appreciated it on that front, at least.

Given the right choice of ten I'd pick Proto. It's certainly in my top five of this list.

Man, am I damning with faint praise here? Sorry. But really, it's no New Adventures of Abraham Lincoln.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

buzzard wrote:Actually, I liked Proto a lot. The art style was very playful. Or rather, there was a sense of playfulness to the process of choosing the art style, something we only see now and again (junk bar, when luna smiles). So I appreciated it on that front, at least.

Given the right choice of ten I'd pick Proto. It's certainly in my top five of this list.

Man, am I damning with faint praise here? Sorry. But really, it's no New Adventures of Abraham Lincoln.
Darn you Buzzard!!! You stole everything I was going to say!
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Evil That Men Forget to Do just has this wacky nonsensical quality that I enjoy.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

evil

Post by Eric F Myers »

My favorite comic on the site is Somnivore, just for the twisted beauty of it. Yet from an improv point of view I voted for The Evil That Men Forget To Do. It reminds me that we are reading true improvs, and just like in live t.v. (when the actors sometimes forget their lines or have no idea where the sketch is going) you never know what might happen. And when it ended with Scott on the ground clueless as were to take the story next brought home that point for me.

B.N.O.N. the Walrus had the same effect, I just liked Evil better because Scott was able to save the Walrus in the end.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

OK, I amended the topic title to show a date range. Not sure if that's more confusing or less. Thing is, "recent" is a relative term, and the M.I. comics featured in this poll span over a year's worth of time.

As to removing "Proto the Pet" from consideration, while it may not be anybody's favorite, does that mean it shouldn't even have the chance of being somebody's favorite? Where's the love for Proto?
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
gareis
Regular Poster

Post by gareis »

Greg Stephens wrote:Where's the love for Proto?
Left it in my other pants.
jazzsammich
Forum Member

Post by jazzsammich »

you don't HAVE no other pants!

--jim
mecherath
Forum Member

I Admit It

Post by mecherath »

Proto the Pet probably wasn't my favorite out of that list, but I just went back and read it, and I do like it. Its underdog status artificially boost its status enough that it earned my vote.

I like Meadow of the Damned too. :)