FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister
Chess Boxing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv
Previous: PostA call for help... Next: PostFavorite M.I. so far? (Part II: 4/2002...  
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Chess Boxing Reply with quote

Just because we know that Scott's a big chess enthusiast, I thought I'd point out: Chess Boxing.

You can't make this stuff up!
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's so awesome
wood
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: chess boxing Reply with quote

did you know that chess boxing first appeared in a french comic ?

It's called "Froid Equateur", and was published in 1992, i don't exactly remember. The author is Enki Bilal (quite a celebrity in french comics)

more info here :

http://bilal.enki.free.fr/image.php3?nom_image=froid_equateur/extraits/froid_equateur_ecran_2.jpg

and here :

http://bilal.enki.free.fr/details_oeuvre.php3?nom_oeuvre=froid_equateur&quelles_oeuvres=albums&special=20

(all in french sorry ! )

wood - french comic-addicted
Christopher Lundgren
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I can't help but think that a player more weighted towards the fighting end would have a distinct advantage over one more inclined towards the chess portion.

By playing a defensive game, a powerful boxer could probably keep himself alive through the chess matches, and then proceed to pummel his opponent senseless during the boxing rounds. Also, losing during the chess portion probably wouldn't hinder your pugilism as much as getting the crap beat out of you would make it hard to play chess.

Overall, sounds awesome though. It's one of those sports where you take two things that are directly opposite and then make the players do both, like the biathelon (cross-country skiing & target shooting).
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everything comes back to comics eventually, anyway, right? Weirder and weirder.
zerofoks
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Stephens wrote:
So everything comes back to comics eventually, anyway, right?

It's a sequential world, baby.
wood
Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: chess boxing Reply with quote

Well, you know, by the time i read this comic, i did't think anybody would so stupid as to do it for real ! (and i guess neither did Bilal, the writer/artist !)

It's a pity that they don't mention his name anywhere ( or maybe i missed it ? ) because he is the creator of the concept, i think. I've been trying to notify him, but I can't find his e-mail address anywhere...

I really wonder what he would think...

("Hey, these guys owe me royalties !")

Wood

Brest,
France

woood@ifrance.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Zwol.org Forum Index -> Morning Improv All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: