i don't get it

Discuss Scott McCloud's current online comic project. Be sure to check out <a href="http://www.scottmccloud.com/comics/mi/mi.html">the latest improv</a>!

Moderators: Scott McCloud, Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Tim Mallos wrote:Naw, they are a bunch of pussies.
First sensible thing I've read in this thread!
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

For the record, I'm happy to post heated political discussions here. Most of what's been said is interesting and even funny.

Greg was right to flag it when heat became flames on this page, though. It's a hard line to draw, but here are the specific comments on this thread's first page that I'd consider personal attacks:

Rip: "I'd bet if there was a draft today, you'd be the first one running up to Canada."
Dr. Empirical: "Rip, you are completely full of shit, and unworthy of further notice. Seig fuckin' heil!"
Rip: "grow up Doc."
Dr. Empirical: "Some people simply can't be reasoned with, and he's proved he is one of these."

That's it. Everything else on this page was fair game as far as I'm concerned. (Rip's response to the Nazi implication was proportional and justified I thought, despite the heat -- he was responding to a particularly nasty jab).

As for Kittens, it's a blunt instrument that glosses over a lot of the subtleties on both sides of the issues. I don't consider America "conquerors" in the sense that the Roman Empire or the Third Reich was at all (except on our own soil in the early years of course). Sadly though, I'm afraid that very little of the world views our latest adventure as a "liberation" either. I sincerely hope we can live up to that notion in the long run, but by then it may be the least of our troubles.

Post by Guest »

For the record, I'm happy to post heated political discussions here. Most of what's been said is interesting and even funny.

eh, i guess. actually, i'm getting bored with the world and it's politics. maybe not bored, but a sense of who gives a shit. not who gives a shit, but maybe just a general acceptence that people will never get along and the only thing that makes now different than emperial rome, for example, is there is more media coverage now. we've been doing this, and we will continue to do this. to think otherwise is to fall in line with people who think that one day marijuana will be legal. i don't know. but i know i did like somnivore and most beautiful dog in the world a lot better.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I don't think I was being unreasonable, but I was very passionate. I was basically responding to what I felt were some outragous allegations by a couple of "out-there" posters. I wasn't bashing Scott, or his comic, even though I disagree with some of the political views Scott has expressed; though I think this is obvious to most.

If Doc doesn't want to read or respond to my posts, that's his right, though I find that a bit silly and childish. There are some people who just want to put out there own opinions, and then don't want to know from anybody else's; and this is they way he has been acting. If he wants to put foward his controversial views, he has to expect a controversial response. That what we call debate, and that what makes America great. "The antidote to free speech is more free speech", I believe that saying goes. Of course, there's another saying, "Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one, and everybody think everyone elses stinks" I'll continue to read Doc posts and everybody elses, and respond to them if I fell I need to.

I realize some people out there want to only to discuss comics, but Scott's comics HAVE had a political bent of late. The fact that these comics have sparked such heated political debates, means, I think, that they are successfull.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Dr. Empirical
Forum Member

Post by Dr. Empirical »

Scott, I feel I need to apologize to you as well. As I said, I lost my temper. In your post you isolated the specific statement that caused me to lose my temper, and to abandon any attempt at a point-by-point refutation of Rip's post in favor of a simple assertion of his excretory surfeit.

To my mind, such a heinous insult constitutes an invitation to respond in kind, but you know, it's not my forum, nor is it a forum about me, and I shouldn't take even such personal attacks personally.

Again, I apologize, to you and to Greg.
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

No sweat, Doc.

If you and Rip can bury the hatchet, I'm fine with it.

Or *redirect* the hatchet, even better. I'm *enjoying* the political debates!

The reason I discourage the occasional ad hominem is mostly because it tends to distract from the actual points being raised.
MSUSpar10
Regular Poster

???

Post by MSUSpar10 »

I still don't get it.
"I'm here to do some card tricks and fall way short on the yardstick of your love."
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Scott McCloud wrote:If you and Rip can bury the hatchet, I'm fine with it.

Or *redirect* the hatchet, even better.
Heh, heh, good one, Scott.
Well, if Doc is willing to read my posts, then I won't talk about him behind his back (get it, see? If he's not reading my posts, then I can talk about and him he won't know, so that's like...ah ferget it! :wink: ).

Don't worry all will be forgiven once I have my operatives drag you all into the Riptania Re-Education Center For Misguided Liberals. We layed the corner stone last week. Don't try to run now, boys and girls, we know how to find you. 8)

Laugh and the world has you commited. Cry and they put you on anti-depressants.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Fat Head

Post by Fat Head »

The men in white coats are here.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Fat Head wrote:The men in white coats are here.
Tell them I'll be right out. I'm fixing my hair.