Don't give up

Discuss the Zwol comic. (Random yammering also allowed.)

Moderator: Moderators

Randy
Consistant Poster

Don't give up

Post by Randy »

I could go on, but it's really becoming too dismal to contemplate. It may be time to admit defeat and just quit.
I read this on your main page and I thought that I should comment. I would like to see more comics from you. I like your stories. The writing and the art work well together.

I know what it's like to get depressed about art, but one of the best things that you can do is to just keep doing it. Eventually what will happen is that you will draw a lot of things that you consider to be not that great, but you will eventually draw something that blows you away. It will make you realize that all those "bad" drawings that you've been doing are actually good! This will make you realize the talent that you have.

Don't do it for me, or the others that come to zwol.org.

Do it for you.

Peace out,
Randy
Murak
Forum Member

Post by Murak »

Um, forgive me for INTRUDING, Randy, but WHO are you talking to?
Murak
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

Murak wrote:Um, forgive me for INTRUDING, Randy, but WHO are you talking to?
Ok, I guess that I should have typed that I was quoting Greg Stephens from his main page today, 8/13/02.

:oops:
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Randy.

To futher answer Murak's question, it's common that many people who find this forum through Scott McCloud's Morning Improv aren't fully aware that there is an entire website beyond the forum. I'm not sure if that's exactly your situation, Murak, but in case you didn't know, I started this website for my own online comic ( http://www.zwol.org/archive.php3 ) and even though I haven't been doing much in the way of drawing (or, nothing at all, actually) I still occasionally post news, thoughts and other junk on my index page. And Randy was commenting on something I put up there yesterday.
Last edited by Greg Stephens on Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Tim Winstead
Regular Poster

Never give up..even if it seems you should

Post by Tim Winstead »

I'm not sure about alot of you out there, and I certainly won't speak for you either, but when I decided (later in life that I would have liked )that cartooning is just something that I wanted to do..it really didn't matter that I wasn't better than everybody else out there, or that there stood a good chance that I might not ever make it to the bigtime..one thing always came to mind to help me sift thru whatever feelings of discouragement I might have had......I love this stuff..I mean, it's on my mind everydayand not just when or how much money I could make..but just the art.The art is what matters. Without it .the prospect of continuing to do for a living what I do seems bleak at best and unthinkable at worst. The art keeps a balance.I realize that there are tons of you out there who know more...draw and write better..and have attained recongition for your work where for the time being, I have not...but let's face it..you probably would not be doing it at all if not for your talent and your love of the art. I still have a lot to learn and firmly believe that I will get better, but I also know it's not easy. Take care and try to remember why that love of the art is why we all are here..........Tim Winstead
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Another vote to not give up.

Post by losttoy »

First thing ... Greg, you are one of the main people who inspired me to draw comics. Not nessicarily your style of art or story telling (which I enjoy quite a bit), but for the fact that you were just out there doing it, expressing yourself, and exploring the medium. To be blunt, your comic will just never be synidcated in a newspaper. It's just not their style. But that is not the point ... the point is to do it. Your site is a great forum for alternative and underground comics. That in itself should insire you to draw.

Second thing is the question: why are we doing this? For myself, my comic strip is not my career. I have dreams of one day selling my comic to a syndicate or some company that would want to publish it so that way I can quit my job and draw full time. However that is what it is in itself, a dream. I go to work everyday as a graphic designer. It is a passion of mine and I am lucky to be doing what I want to do for a living. My job requires me to layout advertising for automobles, science posters for presentations at a lecture series, package design for the newest gum, and various other projects for various different companies. There is some artistic creativity happening in these designs, however these designs are never my voice or expressions, but are the companies'.

The reason we do comics is not to make money. It is not to be the best artist. It is because we want to express ourselves in a way we can't in everyday activities. Greg, don't give up. Just draw, write, sketch, paint, or whatever you want ... just do it. Not for the audience who loves your work, but for your self (although, personaly I want to see one of my favorite cartoonist back to work). :)
Murak
Forum Member

Post by Murak »

Sorry, Greg. I have indeed visited the rest of your site and your archives; I just hadn't read that particular 'Lastest Word' before I stuck my foot in my mouth.

Sorry that your feeling down, though.

Please find attached 12 emoticons to cheer you up.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hope it helps.
Murak