MAGICINKWELL is BACK!

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

we're back up. check it out at: http://www.magicinkwell.com

new design.
Tailsteak
Frequent Poster

Post by Tailsteak »

Magnifique.
Tim Mallos
Understands reinventing

Post by Tim Mallos »

Congrats Cat!
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

awesome! I checked out the new strip, and it is really good.

vince
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

Great site design Cat! Can't wait to see more!
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

thanks everyone! i should have a new strip up on Friday (wait till you see THAT one!).

cat

by the by, anyone going to APE?
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

sounds fun... i'd love to APE. what is it?
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

<a href="http://www.comic-con.org/pages/APE2002wn.html">this</a> is APE. i'll be there this year for those of you that are going. so is a long list of really cool webcomics people...

:smile:
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

heh, thanks scott! :smile:
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

i've posted my first of my newest friday strips. hope everyone likes it! it's kind of big so if you need to take a coffee break or snack break it'd be perfect. i'd love to know what everyone thinks...

cat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: catgarza on 2002-01-18 11:02 ]</font>
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Cat- That's GREAT! Even though my life's been much different from yours of late, I can really relate to what you're saying.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Randy
Consistant Poster

Post by Randy »

Loved the new comic Cat! My first response is to say that I'm sorry that you had to go to the street, but on thinking about it for a moment I think that it was on of the best things that could have happened for you. You seem to realize some things that others don't. I have a friend that when he was young would make a game out of seeing how far from home he could hitchike out and back by his curfew of 9:00. Then at about 18 he packed up a back and left. He's been all over the US and has many stories.

Anyway, keep drawing. Even if you don't feel like it. Because usually when you start, you don't want to stop.

Later,
Randy
(Who hasn't updated the Subatomic Cafe in HOW long? It should be up by Tuesday)
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

i think what's happened to me in my life has made me a better artist. well, at least i'd like to think so. :smile:

i'm glad everyone likes the strip. thanks for all the kind words of encouragement. i don't want everyone to feel bad about my experiences. that's not why i'm relating them. i haven't been in a situation yet that has been so bad or weird that it's freaked me out. i've been in strange situations, found myself in odd places, but at no time was any of it BAD to me (even if it might be to someone else upon relating it to them). i have so many stories to tell now, i can't wait to tell them all!
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

Wow!! Incredible stuff, both art-wise and content-wise.

I didn't know that you were from Austin! I lived in Austin since I was about 13 years old, and went to UT. I read your story up until the part where you meantioned the drag, and that was a real blast from the past. Of course I used to walk along that very street every day for a long time. I used to have a friend from highschool who decided to live on the drag for a while. When I went back to Austin to visit my folks, he had cleaned up and had a place... but now I have reason to believe that he might be back on the street again. Of course I have no way of finding out from where I am!

Anyhow, I don't see anything inately wrong with living on the street... in some cultures it is a respected religious lifestyle. Here in Japan, where begging on the street used to be a big deal, the monks can be seen taking a break to talk on their cell phones... the only real beggars are the actual homeless people, and they don't come this far north because they would probably die in the cold. No one really has what it takes to live that lifestyle around here, that's for sure (including me).

But I imagine that there must be a lot of hard experiences in terms of basic stuff like hunger or warmth and what not.

On the other hand, does living on the street tend to give you a better focus? What I mean is, you cut right down to the basics, and you know exactly why you are alive... I wonder if that sort of lifestyle promotes that sort of stuff..... but I suppose that all depends on the person.

Unfortunately, most of the images from your newest comic didn't download properly. I don't know if that is a problem on my end or yours...

I hope to be able to read the whole thing soon!! What I saw looked really good!

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

2 things:

I just saw that you are not "from" Austin, but lived there for a year. Sorry for not checking that more thoroughly.

Also, I wanted to mention that everything I said about being homeless is really just academic, because I have never been homeless before. I don't really know anything about it at all...

Well, once again.. great stuff! I can't wait to see the rest of it!

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

finally I was able to download the whole story! Awesome work. I really like how you have put a lot of time into the design. I also like the mix of what seems to be computer generated techniques with traditional cartooning techniques. Not to mention the painterly feel of the "street paintings" mixed with the tight feel of the more clean cut style work. Totally intense! I feel challenged to make my site look better now!!

As for the story, it was pretty interesting. It really left me wanting to see more. Give me my fix!

I really connected with how you "felt like an artist". It is easy to loose touch with that feeling sometimes... given the harshness of life and all... There have been many times when I felt degraded by certain things, like working to make a buck and getting too tired to make art and stuff like that. One time, after not making art seriously for almost a year, I was drawing something on a napkin on an airplane. The sky-waitress smiled and asked me if I was an artist. I said yes without thinking. It was a great feeling to be an artist again. Ever since that moment, I have decided to think of myself as an artist first, all the time, no matter what activity I am involved in. Of course I don't walk around telling everyone this, but the outlook has given me a new confidence in myself. Never loose touch with that!!

Thanks again for making such a cool comic! I look forward to seeing more!!!!

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

thanks for the posts, guys! i've been getting lots of encouraging emails and replies on the message boards. it's good to be working on the site again and to have so many wonderful people responding to it. it's definitely keeping me inspired!!!

catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

just posted yet another friday strip!

promise i won't announce it EVERY week. this is just the first time in a while i've been regular again!!! (thank god for bran muffins! kidding...)

cat
http://www.magicinkwell.com
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

I personally love to see that you have posted new stuff... Are you going to have a regular update schedule? If not, would you impliment some sort of e-mail notice system for updates?

vince
Vince Coleman
comics and stuff...</A>
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

i'm just going to try to keep to my old schedule (new strip every Fri.) and see what happens. if i have to skip a week, there'll be a notice on the site.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Wow.

OK, now I'm going to have to get back to work myself.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
catgarza
Mayor of Whimville

Post by catgarza »

yet another weekly strip posted. please let me know just how hard it really is to follow! :wink:

cat
Scott McCloud
The one and only

Post by Scott McCloud »

Pretty hard actually -- but who cares? It's Cool!! :smile: