Joey Manley's literary/comics challenge

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Joey Manley's literary/comics challenge

Post by Greg Stephens »

I won't quote the entire thing here, but over at his blog, Joey Manley has issued this challenge:
Draw a comic which adapts the following paragraph from a classic American literary novel. The entry must be no more than one standard-sized comics page. It must contain no words. The winner will be the comic that manages to a). get the most information from this paragraph illustrated clearly, and b). do so in an aesthetically pleasing, entertaining manner.
To read the quote he's using, go visit his blog.

This is something that's interesting to me, since I've tried adapting different works into comic form at various times and it's an interesting puzzle.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I think his choice was a bit unfair. It's Faulkner unless my memories of English Lit class are failing me, and just about everything he ever did was a rambling description, or a rambling internal monologue.

And the restraints Joey put on the participants would even make filming that scene impossible. Books are books, movies are movies, comics are comics. Each of the mediums have their own demands that you cannot directly translate from one to the other without having to alter things. That's why we use the term "Adaptation"

Then again, I'm guessing that's Joey's point.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

I dunno, seems pretty fair to me. It's only one sentence, and the sentence is almost all a description of a more or less unchanging scene, very little action. Could almost get it into one panel, except that time has to pass.

The digression about light and moving air carrying heat would be tough to show...
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...