New theory essay

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

New theory essay

Post by Neil Cohn »

I just wanted to let people know that I have a new essay available for download at my site called "Initial Refiner Projection". It delves into a very specific phenomenon of how sequences of images communicate related to "zooms," and explains why this sequence seems slightly odd:

www.emaki.net - Studying the Language of "comics"
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

More essays!

Post by Neil Cohn »

Rather than keep starting a new thread every time I write a paper, I'm going to use this one to let people know about my new comic theory essays... like the three new papers that have just gone online! Here are the titles and descriptions for them:

?Eye Image gr?fIk Semiosis! ? Examines the relationship of writing to drawings and visual symbols

A Visual Lexicon ? Looks at the varying levels of representation used in comics, and how they all work to form a "visual lexicon" for this graphic language

A Force of Change - Discusses visual metaphor and other meaning making techniques used in comic strips for an ad campaign by the Chicago Tribune

I welcome your feedback on any of these papers, either here or at my own forums.
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

Yup, its time for another one... I have a new essay called "Cross Cultural Space" up on the differences in "spatial structure" between American comics and Japanese manga.
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

Yup... its time for another essay up at Comixpedia, this time fully drawn and tackling the "Problem of Two."
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

It's time for another "Comic" Theory 101 article up at Comixpedia, this time tackling the potential for visual rhyming and its application in practice.
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

And another one...

Post by Neil Cohn »

For your reading pleasure: I have recently posted a new downloadable essay at my site entitled "Time Frames... Or Not" about the assumptions that lead to the (false) belief that successive panels equal moments in time. Here's a short abstract:
The juxtaposition of two images often produces the illusory sense of time passing in the visual language used in modern comic books. While this linear sequence may seem to present a succession of moments, the understanding of graphic narrative is hardly so simple. This paper explores various assumptions about sequential images to show why panels are not moments in time.
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

Yup, it's that time again:

I just wanted to let you know that I have a <a href="http://comixpedia.com/loopy_framing">new "Comic Theory 101" article</a> posted up at Comixpedia called <a href="http://comixpedia.com/loopy_framing">"Loopy Framing."</a> This one explores the relationship of word balloons, thought bubbles, and panel borders, as well as their connections to human cognition!
Neil Cohn
Regular Poster

Post by Neil Cohn »

I just wanted to let you know that at long last I have a new downloadable essay posted on my site.

Entitled "Japanese Visual Language," this one outlines the unique properties of the structure of manga, and contrasting it from the visual languages in other countries. It's also a good overview of my theories as a whole.