NEW: Comics as Information Delivery Technique

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

DC1
Forum Member

NEW: Comics as Information Delivery Technique

Post by DC1 »

The article is about using comics and comic style illustration as communication. Recently a Yahoo! development team chose the comic form as a way to communicate with stakeholders. Of all the forms they looked at, why choose the comic form?

Thus starts the story of why I created this article -- for a site which is not about comics.

Dennis Chao's proof-of-concept was to use the Doom game interface as the front end of a system administration tool. The process ID number and last seven characters of its name float in front of each monster. Connected computers in the system are different rooms in the game’s labyrinth. The relative level of other users are represented and assigned by the weapons they are given. In essence work task meets Tron, meets Doom.

Visitorville uses SimCity has almost a comic interface front end for web analytics. Average users find it more useful and usable than other packages.

What's going on? I believe these examples are not just appealing or "fun." The comic form, both traditional and more modern ideas, are better for communicating the kind of context necessary for true information delivery. Comics are interesting from the interaction design and information design viewpoints, and that's why I think you'll find it interesting. There are a number of resources you may not have read about before.

And, if you do find it useful, think about linking to it.
How to use <a href="http://www.designcrux.netfirms.com/desi ... mples.html"> comic book style illustration</a> to communicate information and differentiate your business.