LINK: R. Stevens' "Webcomics for Fun and Breaking Even&

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

LINK: R. Stevens' "Webcomics for Fun and Breaking Even&

Post by Greg Stephens »

If you haven't read this yet, it's worth a look. Short and to the point.
R. Stevens wrote: I know that the three points below are mostly common sense, but sometimes common sense hides in the back of the party like a nerdy guy who is afraid to talk to girls.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Surlyben
Frequent Poster

Post by Surlyben »

That was a good read. Thanks for the link!

Ben
--
www.surlyben.com Recipes for the apocalypse...
Wikkit
Consistant Poster

Post by Wikkit »

I don't know about you, but when I really get into a story, I'll pay almost anything to see the ending immediately. Give away as much as you can and be creative about what you charge for!
Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Do a series of set length, and draw the entire thing in advance. Post the next panel/strip/page every day or week, and just charge people to skip ahead. Make the price structure somewhere between linear and exponential, so that it costs fifty cents to see tommorrow's strip, maybe a dollar for the day after tomorrow, two bucks for the third day, and so on. The better the artist is at suspense, the more money.

Or you could just charge some of your readers for a subscription that lets them read ahead of the publically available stuff. It would be the exact opposite of Modern Tales; the archive would be free, but you'd have to pay for the recent stuff.

Speaking of Modern Tales, Manley using a Paypal subscription is smart. He got $1.95 out of me every month for many months when I couldn't afford to eat, just because I'd never remember to unsub until it had been taken.