Web comics can make jokes that print can't.

Discuss the future, present and past of sequential art.

Moderator: Moderators

DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Web comics can make jokes that print can't.

Post by DecafSilicon »

My October 30 post on http://decafsilicon.blogspot.com points out a joke between two webcomic artists -- a joke that you can't pull off in print.

Yes, I'm doing this for blog hits from comics fans. :roll: But it's a good entry.

-- Nick Douglas
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

notes from the editor

Post by Eric F Myers »

Technically you could do it in print, but it takes longer and is more work for the reader (editor notes on the side have been around for decades). I do like the effect of links within comics linking to other comics or other relevant sources.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

You could make notes, but it's not the same as pointing right to the original thing you refer to. The link is fundamentally different than a cross-reference or a citation.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Yeah, I'd back you up on that point.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

disagree

Post by Eric F Myers »

I still have to disagree. For example: Spider-Man is talking to himself and says "Doc Ock is back to his old tricks * " then at the bottom Stan the Man says "* See Spider-Man issue #44." Now if this was an web based comic (no pun intended... second thought, yes it is) Spider-Man's quote could link you right to that comic in question, even right to that page or panel. In this context they are the same, both are intended to redirect the reader to an early source of information that familiarizes them with the story. It's just that linking is faster and easer for the reader.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

hmmm... the question seems to be about ease of access. How many people are going to look up that old Spiderman right away? Also, what if you don't have the comic good old Stan is refering to? Or even if you have it, you might be reading the comic somewhere else, away from your collection.

This internet method is more direct, that's for sure. Not absolutely, 100%, pure internet-only-trick in my opinion, but almost. It's not that you absolutely can't do it in print, but the internet method is so much better in terms of accessability and speed that it almost seems like something new. Which is good enough for me to call it new if you want.....
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Print can't do anything like it. A hyperlink is an actual link from one thing directly to another. A footnote is not. The fact that they can be used for similar purposes (that is, to say "look at this other document for more information") doesn't make them fundamentally the same. Links can be used to augment footnotes, but also indexes, tables of contents, diagrams, images, they can link to sounds, videos, email addresses-- the list is practically endless. A link can substitute for turning a page, or changing a channel, or putting down a book and turning on the TV. Hyperlinks are far more than high-tech footnotes, though they can be used that way.
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
gazorenzoku
Reinvents understanding

Post by gazorenzoku »

good point.
Vince Coleman
<A HREF = "http://www.vince-coleman.com" target=_blank> www.vince-coleman.com
comics and stuff...</A>
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

yep

Post by Eric F Myers »

Greg, I agree with you. I wasn't trying to say that all hyperlinks can be done in print. But in my opinion, the link in the comic that Nick listed was the same as a footnote in a printed comic. Not exactly the same, but it was used in a very similar way.
DecafSilicon
Consistant Poster

Post by DecafSilicon »

Good points. I still say it's a qualitative difference, but someone can probably find more creative examples of linking. It's one of the most creative uses I've found, though.

I wonder if any web advertisers are satisfied with eyeballs rather than click-throughs? After all, shouldn't a Nike web banner work just as well as a Nike magazine ad even if it doesn't provoke a click?