cowboy's and samurai

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

shadowa
Forum Member

cowboy's and samurai

Post by shadowa »

Hey whats up he's a piece I did with and artist, Cowboys & Samurais Webisode 2.

http://fusciart.com//C&SPart2Page1.html
ShadowCaster
Frequent Poster

Post by ShadowCaster »

Maybe this shoud be posted in the Hype forum ?
Anyway, good overall look, text crually missing, especially since I don't have a sound card on my PC, some nice use of animation, like the room looking when arriving in the saloon but overall too much for my taste, I'd like to read faster. Sometimes important parts of the image are missing at the end of the animation, like near the counter, the hero get's offscreen, making a strange impression when rereading the still pannels. You should somehow preload the next page during the animation time, that would reduce the reader's waiting drastically. SWF file sizes seems a bit big too me, did you optimize the embedded images ?
I'll reread :wink: it at home where I have a soundcard.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

I too miss the word balloons or text of some sort. With the animation and voiceovers it seemed more like a cartoon in a comic environment. The artwork is on a professional level. I can't say much about the writing, it was too short to judge. What happened in part one and where is it? Overall I give it a thumbs up. I would like to see more western comics out there. :wink: <- secret link
shadowa
Forum Member

hey

Post by shadowa »

well it wasnt short because of me, and sorry u didnt find it thrilling. im not at a professional writer but im pritty damn good.
guldulocz

Post by guldulocz »

since it flash, give user option to turn on/off balloons, sound and animation.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Re: hey

Post by Eric F Myers »

shadowa wrote:well it wasnt short because of me, and sorry u didnt find it thrilling. im not at a professional writer but im pritty damn good.
Hey, hey.. on the contrarry. I'm not one to judge a short bit of writting. It's like people at the Accadamy Awares that don't vote for someone based on one film. They would like to see past and current performances to judge the person by. I'm the same way. My jaw dropped when I opened up that page and saw the Samurai on the horse. I believe my exact words were "holy shit, wow." Then a couple of pages in I was frustrated by the lack of text, yet the story itself is interesting. I am looking forward to future episodes.
shadowa
Forum Member

Hey

Post by shadowa »

EFM: Hey, hey.. on the contrarry. I'm not one to judge a short bit of writting. It's like people at the Accadamy Awares that don't vote for someone based on one film. They would like to see past and current performances to judge the person by. I'm the same way. My jaw dropped when I opened up that page and saw the Samurai on the horse. I believe my exact words were "holy shit, wow." Then a couple of pages in I was frustrated by the lack of text, yet the story itself is interesting. I am looking forward to future episodes.

Kool i can under stand that but when you say that you were frustrated by the lack of text what do you mean.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Re: Hey

Post by Eric F Myers »

shadowa wrote:Kool i can under stand that but when you say that you were frustrated by the lack of text what do you mean.
We'll at first I had my speakers turned down, so I didn't even know that there was sound. Then I had to watch the whole thing a couple of times to pick up on what was being said. I don't know if it was because of the equipment used to record the sound or if it was just the voice acting, but it was hard to hear and understand the dialog. So captions or word balloons would of helped a lot.
guldulocz wrote:since it flash, give user option to turn on/off balloons, sound and animation.
This would be a good option.

re:

Post by Guest »

EFM: We'll at first I had my speakers turned down, so I didn't even know that there was sound. Then I had to watch the whole thing a couple of times to pick up on what was being said. I don't know if it was because of the equipment used to record the sound or if it was just the voice acting, but it was hard to hear and understand the dialog. So captions or word balloons would of helped a lot.

Well ill let my partner know.
shadowa
Forum Member

The message up top is mines

Post by shadowa »

the message with the member name guest is mines.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

I've been busy, and I'm still in the dial-up ghetto, so I only got to check out a little of this, but the few pages I looked at, I liked. I especially liked the bobbing, laughing heads, in the saloon.

My two complaints are the lack of balloons, and the sound quality. I realize it can be expensive to be get a hold of top of the the line equipment, or get into a studio, but it sounds like it was recorded in somebody's bathroom. Also, I too thought the Samurai was hard to understand.
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

OK, checked out rest of it. Code of Bushido meets the Law of the West. I'd like to see where this story goes. I also, like Eric, would like to see Part One. And also, like Eric, I'd like to see more of the western genre in comics. Yes, even though I'm a Jew from the Bronx, I love westerns. Hell, my father is a Jew from Flatbush, and he's a real western fanatic. When I was kid, he went around quoting Zane Grey, Robert W. Service, and the opening to the radio version of Gunsmoke. He still does. My great-great-grandfather was Sheriff of Wahtuchas, but that's a stroy for another day.

BTW I noticed in page 8, you guys lifted a bit of the soundtrack from Once Upon a Time in the West. I'd recognize that tune anywhere, and not just because they were showing it on AMC tonight (Damn, that channel knows how to butcher a great film!).

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? Man can't even trust his own pants."
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
shadowa
Forum Member

Whats up

Post by shadowa »

I am not a jew but I am from the bronx and its nice to see a fellow bronx residents repping the Bx. You can see part one of the story on my page its not done by me though.

8)

Calling all freaks :evil: :roll: :oops:
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

I just mentioned the whole Jew, Bronx, and Flatbush thing because these are three words are usually not assossiated with the Wild West. Growing up in the Bronx, it seemed I was the only kid who wanted to play Cowboys and Indians, while everybody else wanted to play Cops and Robbers. Yet, after all that, I still have yet to go horseback riding along Pelham Parkway.

Cowboys & Samurais is a great "fish out water" idea. Sadly, the idea of an Orthodox rabbi in the Wild West has already been done, else I would be doing it myself.