It's about Guest strips

A place to promote yourself, your comic or your website. Or all of the above.

Moderator: Moderators

Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

It's about Guest strips

Post by Eric F Myers »

Head on over to William George's site Delineated Life. He has a guest strip up that was done by Yours Truly. W.G. liked it, and I think it's one of my better pieces. It's certainly better drawn than most of my comics, and I really enjoyed doing it. Hope you all like it too.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I agree with EFM's assessment of his work.

I think this is better than me pimping someone else's comic even though it's on my site, but I cant figure out why. :)
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

I really liked your guest strip eric. I mean I'm not the creator or anything, but as a reader of IAG I think your guest comic fits snuggly within the story that willy g is creating.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding
Location: The Riptania Sky-Palace in da beauuuuuutiful Bronx.

Post by Rip Tanion »

Are you trying to suggest that pro-wrestling is fixed? How dare you! :wink: :wink:
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Rip Tanion wrote:Are you trying to suggest that pro-wrestling is fixed? How dare you! :wink: :wink:
GASP!

If my sprained thumb didnt make me want to belt back some soju, this news certainly does.

Kris has a pretty good story as well coming up. And I'm always open to guest strips since they enable me to stay lazy. :wink:
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

William G wrote:I think this is better than me pimping someone else's comic even though it's on my site, but I cant figure out why. :)
It's because you get to have fresh content for your site, yet you don't have to do any actual work. :wink:
Kris Lachowski wrote:I really liked your guest strip eric. I mean I'm not the creator or anything, but as a reader of IAG I think your guest comic fits snuggly within the story that willy g is creating.
Thanks Kris. Even though it's not cannon I wanted it to fit in with William's universe. That's why nothing really happens in my story.
Rip Tanion wrote:Are you trying to suggest that pro-wrestling is fixed? How dare you! :wink: :wink:
The word "fixed" conjures up the image of players being paid to throw a game. Let's just call wrestling "predetermined."
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Gees, you folks in Chi-Town are still hung up on that Black Sox Scandal, all these decades later. I guess that's to be expected when your team hasn't won it all since 1917 (1908, if you're a Northsider).

As for wrestling, it pretty sad, but I've seen grown men who still think it's real, and parents who'll get mad at you when you try to tell their kids that it's fake. I can remember my own parents telling me it was all "predertimined" when I was 9. I was in shock, until I looked closely, and saw the way a guy like S.D. Jones would pull a punch, and stamp the canvas with his foot at the same time, to make it sound like he actually punched the guy.

To quote the late Fred Blassie, "What a bunch of pencil-necked geeks!"
"Park the beers, and grab the smiles. It's flight time." - LtCdr. J. Robert "Bobby" Stone, USN (R.I.P.)
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I watch it for the violent ballet that it is.

Kris, I'm going to try to get yours up this Sunday... somehow. I'm still doing my webbing from a PC room.
Greg Stephens
Forum Founder

Post by Greg Stephens »

Rip Tanion wrote:As for wrestling, it pretty sad, but I've seen grown men who still think it's real, and parents who'll get mad at you when you try to tell their kids that it's fake.
Reminds me of the game we play called "Santa Claus." Santa Claus is real because we know what he looks like, how he acts and what function he serves in our society. He's real but he's not a an actual individual.

This form of performance wrestling is real because we know what it's supposed to look like, how the players behave (including the limits of real physical contact) and how it's supposed to make the audience feel. It's real, but it's not an actual sporting event.

It's also a lot like a rock concert where the audience gets sucked up in the energy and the moment that is being performed on stage. It would be a mistake to think that the angsty singer-songwriter who appears to be singing from the heart each and every night is really feeling that emotion every time they sing the song. There are some who, Brando-like, will use the song to trigger the emotion in themselves in order to enhance their performance and there are others more like Olivier who know how to show you the emotion without actually feeling it at that time.

I can imagine younger people getting caught up in the soap-opera-like drama of professional wrestling, especially at an age before they're aware that it's a performance, but the ones who should know it's a performance and still insist that it's not are like the hardcore, starfleet uniform-wearing Trekkies on the fan/fanatic scale.

This analysis comes from somebody who's never been interested in wrestling and generally dismisses it as silly, but the varying levels of "reality" are interesting to me.

Oh, and I liked the comic!
Good morning! That's a nice tnetennba.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I have some chums who do wrestle... or did...

They told me that it's real as in they try to make it look like they're beating the snot out of each other while not actually doing it, but if someone isnt doing his job and selling the "offence" properly, they start smacking him for real.

Also, I've been told that there's no way to fake getting dropped on your ass, which makes sense to me.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Ladies and gents;

Kris Lachowski's guest strip is now available for your viewing pleasure.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

Ha! Last time I went to a fast food joint I think the girl behind the counter was a clone, a very slow and inbreed clone.

I liked it, Kris. William, how many more guest do you have lined up?
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Lined up?

About 8.

Actual comics done or on the way?

Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

Let me guess, Kris. The news anchor in your strip is supposed to be Ted Koppel, the personification of Alfred E. Newman. Those ears are like sattelite dishes.

Hey, Becks...if you really felt like Asimov, you'd be rolling over in your grave from this hideous I, Robot flick that's coming out.
efm wrote:Ha! Last time I went to a fast food joint I think the girl behind the counter was a clone, a very slow and inbreed clone.
There must be hundreds, nay, thousands of these clones, working at supermarket checkouts everywhere.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Rip Tanion wrote: Hey, Becks...if you really felt like Asimov, you'd be rolling over in your grave from this hideous I, Robot flick that's coming out..
No matter how the song changes, the name remains the same.
losttoy
Understands reinventing

Post by losttoy »

Another cool comic from Kris. This guy is awsome! However, I got the impression that the guy talking about terrorist clones was George W Bush, not Ted Koppel. Maybe I missed something, but how does it relate to the rest of the story or is it suppose to? I know Eric used It's About Girls characters in his guest comic.

Speaking of which, where did Eric's comic go? I only got a brief look at it the other day before my daughter needed my attention.
Eric F Myers
Understands reinventing

Post by Eric F Myers »

losttoy wrote:Maybe I missed something, but how does it relate to the rest of the story or is it suppose to? I know Eric used It's About Girls characters in his guest comic.

Speaking of which, where did Eric's comic go? I only got a brief look at it the other day before my daughter needed my attention.
William did a few Tales From Science which can be found here.

As for my comic, I don't know if WG is going archive or put up links to the guest strips that were done for him. I'll keep it up on my site here.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

losttoy wrote:However, I got the impression that the guy talking about terrorist clones was George W Bush, not Ted Koppel.
Oh, yeah. You could be right. I was seeing the panel as a news report, but it could be a Presidential press conference. When I saw the big ears, Ted Koppel was instantly triggered in my mind. But now that I think of it, Koppel would have bigger hair.

Hey, Kris, where you at, so you can set us straight.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I'll be archiving everything when I finally get web at home...unless the artists dont want me to. Then I'll link them.
Last edited by William G on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

Oh yeah, I'm always open to more gest strips if anyone else wants to take a pound at it.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Rip Tanion wrote:
losttoy wrote:However, I got the impression that the guy talking about terrorist clones was George W Bush, not Ted Koppel.
Oh, yeah. You could be right. I was seeing the panel as a news report, but it could be a Presidential press conference. When I saw the big ears, Ted Koppel was instantly triggered in my mind. But now that I think of it, Koppel would have bigger hair.

Hey, Kris, where you at, so you can set us straight.
It's definitely G dub.
William G
Reinvents understanding

Post by William G »

I didnt think it was Ted Copple because he's a meaningful and well spoken man, where Shrub is not.
Rip Tanion
Reinvents understanding

Post by Rip Tanion »

William G wrote:I didnt think it was Ted [Koppel] because he's a meaningful and well spoken man, where Shrub is not.
Yeah, maybe if can stay awake long enough for him to finish a sentence. Koppel could put a meth-head on a binge to sleep. There's a reason Nightline does so well in the ratings. Insomniacs, deperate to cop some winks, love him. He's better than Sominex, or a warm glass of milk.

Most people who call Bush a bad speaker, never sat down and actually listened to him speak. He's no Ronald Reagan, but he's no Dan Quayle either. At least he's not doing a bad JFK impression like Kerry does. The presumed Democratic nominee is as boring to listen to as Koppel. Maybe that's his plan to defeat the terrorists; he'll bore them to death.

Besides, oration as a quality for public office is over-rated. Speak softly, and carry a big stick, as T.R. used to say.

As for the confusion in the panel in question, it may have been clearer to "pull back the camera", and show Bush speaking behind the Presidential podium. Then there would be no doubt who you are trying to portray.
Kris Lachowski
Consistant Poster

Post by Kris Lachowski »

Rip Tanion wrote:As for the confusion in the panel in question, it may have been clearer to "pull back the camera", and show Bush speaking behind the Presidential podium. Then there would be no doubt who you are trying to portray.
good point