why is $10/pg too much for you writers?

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

noonecomics
Reinvents comics

Post by noonecomics »

I think writers really have it tough, starting out without any credits under your belt, I honestly don´t know how they do it.
dbppres

Post by dbppres »

i think that if the writers pay someone, then getting credits under their belts shouldnt be a problem.
ld-airgrafix
Consistant Poster

Post by ld-airgrafix »

To be fair there are a lot of artists here who shouldn't be charging either.
Me being an artist, I can understand where writers are coming from. Its not easy parting with lots of money for a project which might never get published.
We are reaching an age where its not what you know, but who you know. Recently Marvel released a western book (Im mentioning this because I love westerns), art was horrible, horses looked terrible, buildings, clothing, barely anything made sense. Look at my deviant art link below, Im an amateur artist, who works for free still, but I could have done a much better job. So why was the job given to someone who cant even draw a horse, didn't even bother looking up horse anatomy.
My point is, no matter how awesome the story is today, unless you know someone in the industry, your story and idea are worthless. So can you blame the writers looking for free art??
dbppres

Post by dbppres »

actually, with the presence of small-run printers available, yes i can blame the writers for not wanting to part with the cash.

one example of an inexpensive printer is https://grekoprinting-comixwellspring.com

it is just very irritating to see too many writers CLAIM that they dont have money, when they are perfectly content to spend their money on junk food, needless expenditures on entertainment, or some other diversionary items/activities, instead of on their so-called "dream project".

i took a look at your cowboy and indian drawing, and im puzzled as to why you dont charge for your services?
Ryan Cost
Forum Member

Re: why is $10/pg too much for you writers?

Post by Ryan Cost »

dbppres wrote:seriously, folks. if you're not willing to risk 10.00 a page, then how much do you really believe in your project? it's not that much to spend, and it should get things done faster, folks.
Ill pay you $10

Send me some work

Imkjfromcali@gmail.com
Harry Tuttle
Forum Member

Post by Harry Tuttle »

I, on the other hand, am a comic book writer who would be more than happy to pay an artist $10-$20 a page for professional level artwork. I'm currently producing/writing 3 comic book series and am starting my own comic book company. I'm also writing and collecting short and episodic stories to eventually be compiled into a monthly anthology. Some of the artist that I'm working with are known in the industry and have been published through big name publishers, so, on top of being paid, this would give you an opportunity to get your work published alongside established pros.

If you're interested PM me and send me a link to your portfolio and I'll give you the details of the project and some samples of the comics I'm creating.
dbppres

Post by dbppres »

Ryan,
personally, I don't ask for $10/pg, because my art skills are mediocre at best, and a little embarrassing at worst. So, with that being said, look at my work on my PBC website.
Harry Tuttle
Forum Member

Post by Harry Tuttle »

So it seems there's been a lot of back and forth on this subject over the years. But for any artists out there actually looking for work and the opportunity to be published alongside established artists, I repeat:

I, on the other hand, am a comic book writer who would be more than happy to pay an artist $10-$20 a page for professional level artwork. I'm currently producing/writing 3 comic book series and am starting my own comic book company. I'm also writing and collecting short and episodic stories to eventually be compiled into a monthly anthology. Some of the artist that I'm working with are known in the industry and have been published through big name publishers, so, on top of being paid, this would give you an opportunity to get your work published alongside established pros.

If you're interested PM me and send me a link to your portfolio and I'll give you the details of the project and some samples of the comics I'm creating.