Penciler Needed for an all girl superhero team

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Penciler Needed for an all girl superhero team

Post by RaySMasonJr »

This project pays a back end percentage. It will be in 12 page installments. Although using one penciler would be great, we understand if that is too much to commit to for back end, so a commitment for one or two installments is acceptable, and when we have paid work you would certainly be considered. Email Affinitystormrecruiting@gmail.com with the subject line Ladies. There is also a short solo story for one of the team members. Subject line
Champ
Comics CD
Understands reinventing

Re: Penciler Needed for an all girl superhero team

Post by Comics CD »

Hi ,I sent you an email.
noonecomics
Reinvents comics

Post by noonecomics »

RaySMasonJr wrote:This project pays a back end percentage. It will be in 12 page installments. Although using one penciler would be great, we understand if that is too much to commit to for back end, so a commitment for one or two installments is acceptable, and when we have paid work you would certainly be considered. Email Affinitystormrecruiting@gmail.com with the subject line Ladies. There is also a short solo story for one of the team members. Subject line
Champ
I often wonder, with so many projects and people you hire, how come Affinity Press is not able to pay their artists, like nothing, not even $10 a page.

also, I have yet to see an artist recommend working with this company, and I believe these guys were here (forum) years before me.

(I have been in this forum for quite some a while now)

back end percentaje = what does it means in US currency?
on a low selling book and the best seller.

thanks.
Studiodenny
Forum Member

Post by Studiodenny »

noonecomics wrote:
I often wonder, with so many projects and people you hire, how come Affinity Press is not able to pay their artists, like nothing, not even $10 a page.

also, I have yet to see an artist recommend working with this company, and I believe these guys were here (forum) years before me.

thanks.

They’ve been around for about 10 years and have produced a few short comics, like 10 or so pages in length, the story ideas are good but execution is less than stellar considering how many people work on each issue (15+ people average). The main problem they have is artists bailing out after drawing a few pages, and their solution is to have the next artist come in and continue from whichever page was last done, so you get a dramatic change in artstyle all of a sudden which makes reading confusing, i mean if it happened during a dream sequence then it would work.

Back in the day they ran everything through a forum(not sure if they still do) and there was lots of talking and communication, but the problem was that there was no action being taken. Their “marketers� would complain that they had nothing to post online yet they had hundreds of images in online storage they could post, they would then say it needs to be properly formated to look good with graphic design etc so you would do it for them and they wouldnt even post it even though you did their job for them. They would have weekly skype meetings and think that because they all talked about what was going on that they were making progress even though nothing was being drawn and more importantly, nothing was being sold. They also spread themselves too thin with little resources. They want to be like marvel or dc and have a dozen or more comics going at one time (which is cool) but they cant pull it off cause of people bailing out on them. If they focused on producing 1 comic title with what they have they could probably do it. I told them to do that more than 5 years ago and it seems they are still doing things the same old way and getting nowhere.

They have a few long time editors/writers working on the stories but all of them( back in the day) refused to learn new skills to make the comics happen. In the last 5+ years the people working there could have learned how to draw the comics themselves and get them out the door and selling. Or, they could have saved a few bucks a month and saved up to pay an artist to make the comics but they never have and probably never will.
noonecomics
Reinvents comics

Post by noonecomics »

Studiodenny wrote:

They’ve been around for about 10 years and have produced a few short comics, like 10 or so pages in length, the story ideas are good but execution is less than stellar considering how many people work on each issue (15+ people average). The main problem they have is artists bailing out after drawing a few pages, and their solution is to have the next artist come in and continue from whichever page was last done, so you get a dramatic change in artstyle all of a sudden which makes reading confusing, i mean if it happened during a dream sequence then it would work.

Back in the day they ran everything through a forum(not sure if they still do) and there was lots of talking and communication, but the problem was that there was no action being taken. Their “marketers� would complain that they had nothing to post online yet they had hundreds of images in online storage they could post, they would then say it needs to be properly formated to look good with graphic design etc so you would do it for them and they wouldnt even post it even though you did their job for them. They would have weekly skype meetings and think that because they all talked about what was going on that they were making progress even though nothing was being drawn and more importantly, nothing was being sold. They also spread themselves too thin with little resources. They want to be like marvel or dc and have a dozen or more comics going at one time (which is cool) but they cant pull it off cause of people bailing out on them. If they focused on producing 1 comic title with what they have they could probably do it. I told them to do that more than 5 years ago and it seems they are still doing things the same old way and getting nowhere.

They have a few long time editors/writers working on the stories but all of them( back in the day) refused to learn new skills to make the comics happen. In the last 5+ years the people working there could have learned how to draw the comics themselves and get them out the door and selling. Or, they could have saved a few bucks a month and saved up to pay an artist to make the comics but they never have and probably never will.
Hey man,
That's exactly what I imagine happens with these guys.
I approached them a few years back as I was starting out in this forum, bailed out really quickly, didn't draw anything.
I mean, they are friendly and polite and kudos for keep going many years, but the reality is that they are wasting a lot of artist's time.
maybe making empty promises, those back-end deals, c'mon!
there's no money in it (At least for the artist)
this all sounds like a scam to me.
at least people should know about the conditions of working with them, it should be a thread here.
PatriciaLoupee
Reinvents understanding

Post by PatriciaLoupee »

noonecomics wrote:
Hey man,
That's exactly what I imagine happens with these guys.
I approached them a few years back as I was starting out in this forum, bailed out really quickly, didn't draw anything.
I mean, they are friendly and polite and kudos for keep going many years, but the reality is that they are wasting a lot of artist's time.
maybe making empty promises, those back-end deals, c'mon!
there's no money in it (At least for the artist)
this all sounds like a scam to me.
at least people should know about the conditions of working with them, it should be a thread here.
It's not a scam. Ray genuinely believes that he'll be able to pay what he owes to people, even to "buy them out" of royalties proposed in the contract.

The problem is, as stated above, that nothing ever gets done. I was one of the many who enlarged the chorus that they should focus in just one title, but that will never happen.

I saw references to Affinity dating from the late 90's. They got close to nil so far. If one thing I took away from them, were a few pages for my portfolio, and that's it.
P.D. Loupee
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/pdloupee
noonecomics
Reinvents comics

Post by noonecomics »

PatriciaLoupee wrote:
It's not a scam. Ray genuinely believes that he'll be able to pay what he owes to people, even to "buy them out" of royalties proposed in the contract.
I mean, that's cool and all.
and as I said before they were polite and kind to me in the very brief interaction I had.
but getting art an artist spend time an effort doing, with a promise of payment. is never good.
I prefer if it was called collab, internship, portfolio purposes as you mentioned, that's all valid, but I guess the promise of payment attracts more artist thinking they could make it big.
I've seen some art and it's actually good, and if they been around for as long as you mention is hard to believe there's no profit in it.
I think is fair to say that's a reasonable doubt.

should we open a dedicated topic?
Studiodenny
Forum Member

Post by Studiodenny »

noonecomics wrote:
and as I said before they were polite and kind to me in the very brief interaction I had.
but getting art an artist spend time an effort doing, with a promise of payment. is never good.
I prefer if it was called collab, internship, portfolio purposes as you mentioned, that's all valid, but I guess the promise of payment attracts more artist thinking they could make it big.
I've seen some art and it's actually good, and if they been around for as long as you mention is hard to believe there's no profit in it.

I think we should open a topic. Their NDA and contracts are pretty sketchy when you actually read them. Basically you “the artist� get paid dead last, so if you worked on a comic that had 20+ people touch it before you came along you will never get paid, specially for how its worded, says something to the effect that ray mason, all of his “editors� legal, marketers etc etc etc get paid first, annnnnnnnnnd if theres anything left over, the artists get their share. Ive been waiting 6 years now and the comics i worked on are up for sale. Now either nothing is being sold or all the non-artists are getting paid. Maybe the IRS should give ray an audit.
ld-airgrafix
Consistant Poster

Post by ld-airgrafix »

I will put my 2 cents worth here, honestly most of what i have seen on there, isnt decent quality anyway. Also dont forget, certain things like website upkeep does cost, and i would assume they wouldnt even cover those costs with sales.
With all the free platforms like WEBTOONs etc, its stupid to even have a site like that running. As an amateur artist myself, i have done free work where my payment has been a copy of the book. Those jobs never led to more exposure, i still never had someone approach me with, “hey, seen your work at so and so, would you draw my book as a paid job?�
To all amateur artists my recommendation is go to webtoons, you wont get paid but at least hell of a lot of people will read your stuff.
What Ray is trying to accomplish would have been amazing in 90’s, not today.
RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Post by RaySMasonJr »

noonecomics wrote:

thanks.
Adrian, or should I call you Cesar? You knew the deal when you signed on twice. Both times you vanished without the courtesy of saying you were no longer working with us. I only found out when I found you here posting negative things about us. So certainly you are a man who keeps his commitments.

We are a collaboration. There is no back end percentage, but that seems to be the only way I can get across collaboration. Its nice that you can visit this forum and post all over, and the forum for the group you supposedly joined you barely scratched the surface. All of your questions, and anyone else's can be answered there. But I can't waste time on someone who is not generally interested. Or willing to commit
RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Post by RaySMasonJr »

Studiodenny wrote:
I think we should open a topic. Their NDA and contracts are pretty sketchy when you actually read them. Basically you “the artist� get paid dead last, so if you worked on a comic that had 20+ people touch it before you came along you will never get paid, specially for how its worded, says something to the effect that ray mason, all of his “editors� legal, marketers etc etc etc get paid first, annnnnnnnnnd if theres anything left over, the artists get their share. Ive been waiting 6 years now and the comics i worked on are up for sale. Now either nothing is being sold or all the non-artists are getting paid. Maybe the IRS should give ray an audit.
Who are you, and what comics are you referring to? I don't get it. People can't come to me with their issues. How do I know you have an issue if you don't tell me. Again we are a collaboration. When we make money on your book, so will you. Whoever you are. Everyone who works for Affinity gets paid at the same time, as long as their paperwork (tax forms mainly) are up to date. Again, you can certainly slam me here, I can't stop you. But if you have any specific concerns, my door is open. Affinitystormrecruiting@gmail.com.
RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Post by RaySMasonJr »

PatriciaLoupee wrote:

The problem is, as stated above, that nothing ever gets done. I was one of the many who enlarged the chorus that they should focus in just one title, but that will never happen.

I saw references to Affinity dating from the late 90's. They got close to nil so far. If one thing I took away from them, were a few pages for my portfolio, and that's it.
Ok. Thanks Patricia. I appreciate the support.
RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Post by RaySMasonJr »

noonecomics wrote:

Adrian,

If that is the case, and if everyone feels that way, maybe I have been going about it wrong. But it never seems to matter what I say in the ads. Back end percentage means you get a cut of any profits made. To me a collaboration means the same thing. Maybe I have been looking at it wrong. I will try to word it that way, but like I say, no matter what I say, people don't tend to read the ad anyway, they send blanket replies, and when I explain to them it is back end percentage again, they get mad, even though that is what I said in the ad. That is, though, why I now clarify before we go further in my initial response to the person who responds to my ads.

I will try putting collaboration in the ads. I don't think it will change anything in the way of responses, but I will find out. If anyone wants to know how it is going for me, ask me at affinitystormproductions@gmail.com. But make sure you response references this conversation, to make sure you get an accurate assessment. But at this point, if you think it will be a more appropriate way to advertise, I am good with that. back end percentage wasn't something I came up with, it just sounded like a good way to put it when someone else suggested it to me. I will retire that for now, except in ads I have already placed.
RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Post by RaySMasonJr »

Comics CD wrote:Hi ,I sent you an email.
Was the Subject Line "Champ"? I didn't get it. affinitystormrecruiting@gmail.com.
Studiodenny
Forum Member

Post by Studiodenny »

Ray, you are like 2 months late replying to all the above questions and comments. For anyone reading this thread and all affinity press related postings, you can all do sooooooooooooo much better coming up with your own comics and selling them online and keeping 100% of the money for yourself. Take a year to learn how to write and draw and you can do better than these guys could ever dream of.
RaySMasonJr
Reinvents comics

Post by RaySMasonJr »

I am not reading any of the replies that came after mine because being dragged into the mud is pointless. Anyone have issues with me, can come to me personally. But I will try to clarify some points.

We are and have been in a building phase. We've had several attempts at getting this "collaboration" on the maps, but broken families, legal issues, the sickness and death of my spouse, my illness, issues with my job causing me to work way too manay hours to accomplish anything, and sabotage. I was always committed to my people to finish the job. I understand frustrations of waiting, but this was always a collaborative effort and people could have kept things going, at least on their own projects. when I was down for the count. For the most part they didn't. I am currently looking for Team Players.

Sure we have books up, both on Drive Thru and on unauthorized sites. But without marketing, they are not going to sell. All I have to offer a marketing team of the bat is the chance to write for me. Which contributes to the growth of our library, and yes, dividing my time. Again, if anyone wishes to discuss the details of how we will get our books on the market, contact me. This is always disclosed before any work is asked for. The plan is changed over the years, but we feel the current plan is solid.

For the chorus of people who said that I should focus on one book, most of you were involved in putting at least one other book on the lineup. I have put out books, and they just sit there. The main things I need to change that are marketing and accounting (and reevaluation of some titles). My marketing manager died and my accountant quit. I have a replacement for the accountant, but she needs to clear up some issues before she can totally immerse herself in Affinity. As for marketing, I will find someone. I always do, and now that the focus is on team players, it has been somewhat easier to get people to stick around.

Again, if it will please the masses, I can try calling this a collaboration. But wouldn't a collaboration pay on the back end? And wouldn't a production that pays a back end percentage BE a collaboration? I don't see a difference. Maybe I should say both???? On other sites I go to there are specific ways to designate this, but a good portion of the people who respond ignore the tags or don't even read the post.

I am sure this is a big joke to some of you, but I have staked my whole life on Affinity. If you feel the need to criticize, that is your right. Just know you are screwing around with my family's future, and the futures of all who have committed something to Affinity, possibly including some of you who have, probably understandably, lost faith in me.

To clarify. The marketing team does not get paid before creative teams. But paid marketing comes out of gross profits. Payment of the team including marketing team, artist, and myself, comes out of net profits. I wish there was another way to do it, but I need to make commitments I know I can keep, or I am in a world of trouble. I may have to take out loans to get this marketing, and if we don't succeed the first day out the gate, paying back the loan can be problematic. Contract wording can always be discussed, and if there is no agreement, then we part ways. I realize I have handled this differently in the past, but we are always learning, evolving, and changing and changing.

There is a "Big Picture" that anyone who posted on this topic has clearly missed. I can share that with anyone interested.

This is my last contribution to this conversation. I hope some of people's concerns have been cleared up, and I am willing to share more with people who contact me at affinitystormproductions@gmail.com. Good day and God Bless.
Studiodenny
Forum Member

Post by Studiodenny »

Just dont.