Delete

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

Delete

Post by eclipsethecomic »

Hey guys and dolls,

My buddy and I have come up with a comic story arc that we both are very passionate about. We have completed the first issue of a 5 to 6 issue arc. We understand, because this is NOT A PAID PROJECT, that if a paying gig comes up that ours will fall on the back burners.

We obviously are more than willing to share profits of the comic if that ever occurs.

I've already spoken with my local comic shops and they're interested in having our comic on their shelves (depending on the artwork) because they really liked the story and concept we have.

If interested, please contact us at eclipsethecomic@gmail.com

Please send us sketches of your work and give us an outline of your expectations.

The best description I have is a Rorschach type of Anti-Hero but outside of his costume he's a Clark Kent type of man.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by eclipsethecomic on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

Example: Page 1

Page 1
(12 years ago)

Keith-Inner Dialogue
“Don’t the tales always begin with a parent’s love for their child…”

Close up of a boy with a smiling-loving father. They are sitting on a sled and both wearing a stocking.

Keith-Inner Dialogue
“…and the child’s love for their parent.”

A shot of a smiling boy with bright blue eyes looking over his shoulder at his father who is sitting behind him on a sled.

Keith- Inner Dialogue
“Isn’t this every boy’s dream?”

A father and son ride down a snowy hill on a red sled. The hillside is filled with laughter of children and parents as they enjoy a winter afternoon.

Keith-Inner Dialogue
“That’s my dream; anyway, because those weren’t the cards I was dealt.”

A boy is pulling on his Dad’s jacket as they’re walking down the sidewalk passing shops. The boy is scowling and his brow is scrunched. He’s leading the way as his father is smiling and looking up at the sky as it begins to snow with one hand running through his hair and the other holding his blue stocking hat. They are passing a bar that sits to the right of a Walt’s Comix. “Raze,” the future villain, is standing outside smoking a cigarette leaning against the wall.

1.5 (I know the dialogue is long) Can be splash page if you see fit)
A girl, slightly older that Keith, walks by Keith and his dad going in the opposite direction. Keith’s head follows her as she walks by.

Keith-Inner Dialogue
“Kids my age get to play and have fun to escape the mind-numbing realities of homework, puberty, and the constant inner-conflict on whether or not girl's is all right.”

“On top of all that, I get to worry about whether or not my father is going to avoid the flu so he can make it to work, so he can buy groceries and pay our rent.”
ComicWriter
Forum Member

HAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHA OMFG LOL

Post by ComicWriter »

HAHAHA YOU GUYS MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD, CLASSSSIC :D

Do you know how many people are going to be interested working with you?

Guess... ZERO!

Do you really think any comic artist that is worth anything is just going to come by here and say: Oh, this sounds great, I draw for no money, and in return I have to trust someone to publish this crap in a LOCAL comic store, and then maybe I get a few bucks out of it...

And not to mention that I JUST KNOW you made the whole local shop thing up, because its the most classssic lie told here.

A PAGE COSTS 100 BUCKS. GET A DESCENT JOB AND PAY FOR YOUR COMIC. END OF STORY
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

100 a page haha

now that's funny.
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

You could be constructive rather than sarcastic and rude.

But he is right, its very hard to find an artist that will meet expectations and is willing not to get paid.

I got the first 5 pages of my comic funded by asking people i knew to support me, like a little kickstarter project of my own.

5 pages, some character design and a cover is a building block for a real kickstarter campaign. Which i'm starting in September!
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

I understand that but it only takes one.

I was informed by another writer that actually found someone on here and they weren't able to offer the artist any money. The artist was very talented and used his work from the book to get a paying gig.

I never said I wanted a Jim Lee or a Greg Capullo. I'm looking for someone that has something to prove and is wanting to have a body of work to show off for future gigs.

But thanks for being reasonable and have a sane response. But do artists really expect 100 a page? Because that seems waaaaaay high. For example, your 8 pager would cost 800 to make...not even a full story.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

And nobody with a family and a DESCENT job could afford that you fool.
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

100 a page just for pencils? Humm you'd be surprised. I asked for a commission from a well known artists and he wanted 120 dollars just to pencil a character bust. It just depends on how successful they are really. You can certainly find an artist that would work for far less. Personally I pay 80 a page for pencils inks and he letters it for free. I'm just doing one page a month till he is free for a kickstarter.

You may find someone, sure but these people are often unprofessional, unrealible and will leave your project eventually when they find paid work. I personally wanted an artist who's style was very realistic and gritty, tight pencils with lots of shading, an American marvel style i guess though my story is not superhero. For that I knew I had to pay, but that didn't stop me from trying to find an artist that would work for free.

I just gave up.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

Right now I'm still hopeful to find someone for free but we'll see...I've also been posting on Craigslist in areas that have artsy schools and have had a pretty good response from that.

Just haven't found an artist that fits what we're looking for.

80 still seems really high to me but I do get that eventually paying may be the only way.
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

Your right, for an indi comic creator that is still a lot. I guess its not as bad for me cuz is $80 is £50 here in the UK.

Well good luck to you man.

Follow my own comic on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/Instruments.of. ... mic?ref=hl
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

This is an example of what $80 dollors buys you.

Page 1 from Instruments of Darkness: Ghosts of the Great Forest.

eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

that's killer artwork, man.

I wish I could pull the trigger and pay someone that kind of money but I work with children with mental illnesses.

No money in that work haha
ld-airgrafix
Consistant Poster

Post by ld-airgrafix »

and this is what free collaboration can get you. don't give up, heaps of new artists come to these boards looking for jobs free or paying. Im at the moment doing couple of collaborations for free. why do I do it for free, because its my hobby, and im sure my art and the writer's writting is good enough to be picked up by a publisher.
don't give up, keep trying and writing, if one story doesn't get picked, do another.

Image Image
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

Cool man!

I knew from the start I wanted the best art that I could get and I knew to get the level I wanted I had to pay for it. My friends and work people have supported me and really believed in my project cuz of the art my artist was doing for me. I started with 8 character illustrations, full page pieces of art, one a month at 30 a character. This gave me something to show people, gather interest, show them that I was serious. They all gave me money and I gathered about 300 dollars which got me the first 5 pages or there abouts, in September we go kickstarter and hopefully get the money we need to make the graphic novel happen.

Don't get me wrong, free work does happen, it just depends on what your expectations are. With the style I wanted, with the level of detail I needed I was never going to be happy with just settling for someone cuz they work for free. Me and steph have a great working relationship, he replies to emails, works hard meets deadlines and does great work. Part time artists are just that, part time. For my rather large story, 8 issues, it will take over a year to complete if he works full time from September, part time, 2 years, a lot can change in 2 years. They leave college, move areas get married, have babies, soon their priorities have changed.

Anyway my point is I think, if you get someone for free start small. One shots, 5 pages 10 even. That big project you have? Unless you have money, I'd say it will be very hard to get it going. It's taken me 18 months to get to this point, spending my own hard earned money has taught me a lot, and I have had to get real, to get serious and business like. Have to be, or people, publishers I mean, won't take me seriously.

If its just for fun, ignore me completely, but ya know I won't my graphic novel to be in a proper bookshop, I won't to be able to see more than just bloody marvel and dc comics, I won't to see something different and I want to show people that there is more than just superheroes out there.

I'll shut up now! Morning rant over.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

naffslack:

When you mentioned your kickstarter starting in September did you mean the website kickstarter.com?
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

Yes that's the one, they have just opened their UK site, either that or Indigogo.com dunno which one will be better to be honest.

What i do know is, you cant just create a kickstarter campaign and expect it to be successful by its self. If people dont know about it goes to reason that it will fall short of the target.

I have a facebook page and twitter account for my comic, i dont know if paying for facebook marketing actually translates to hard cash when they have an issue to buy, will they actually buy it? Dunno, its a gamble.

But tweeting is for free, use the # function on important words...#crowdfunding , #comic yadda yadda.

I also toyed with starting a web comic with weekly updates to create interest and hits on my site. It might not be your main story but perhaps something set in the same world or along the same lines, register at one of the web comic forums and join a community.
LadyDeath
Frequent Poster

Post by LadyDeath »

100$ a page is extremely realistic. I get paid on average 80$ for one children's book illustration (and that's not as intricate or elaborate as one full comic page, that would be more). I get paid per hour 16$ and it typically ends up at 80$. Would I work for free with a .0001% possibility of success? No. Especially when the comics I write get published, I think I'll just illustrate one of those.

I will say as an unsolicited suggestion from both an artist and a writer that you shouldn't compare your own characters to pre-existing ones - it's a complete amateur move in my opinion. Growing up the beginner comic artists and writers I knew would always compare their characters to existing ones and today I still see newbies doing that. You need to get to the point where your character is your character and there isn't a comparison, they stand on their own - and if the similarities are so similar that you feel you really need to compare or you really feel that the two are very similar you need to ditch the character because it's a copy not an original.

You may think - but how else will I explain them to someone? use your words and the real world and if you can't do that then maybe you shouldn't be a writer.

I realize my post probably sounds harsh - my apologies for that, but I'm not always up to sugar coating the real world or giving gold stars to people for going to the bathroom.
Oh.This.Planet.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

Sorry, I am indeed an amatuer. But from the sounds of it you carry yourself as a high class professional.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

And like I said before Mrs. Published and Mrs. High&Mighty my post does not pertain to you published I don't do this for free non-sense.

I'm looking for someone who is looking to expand their portfolio and show their work off. Because you artists have to draw to build up your stuff so it might as well be someone else's work and not a Batman/Superman/Hulk sketch that's been done over and then again.

I know it's a shock to you but I have received responses from people who are interested.

I feel sorry for those that come on here and just decide to rip people for trying. You must live a very sad life when the only thing you do is get worked up over someone's post on a forum.
LadyDeath
Frequent Poster

Post by LadyDeath »

Oh I don't carry myself as a high class professional (unless if by high class you mean I lift my pinky while I sip my dr. pepper than perhaps) the people who hire me do, otherwise I wouldn't get hired if I didn't know what I was doing. After all the definition of professional is to be engaged in or qualified for a position - which most people take to mean getting paid. Check.

My mother always said it's not bragging if you can do it and I have awards, money, published books, and people asking me to work for them as proof that I can do it. If you don't want to listen to me that's your prerogative although it's silly to turn down advice from someone who's already had success in the place you want to - when I was where you were I took advice from anyone who was willing to give it and it actually helped me get to where I am. I'm still learning things, and I love learning it's something you should never stop doing.

And no it doesn't surprise me that people offered to work for you for free. I am well aware of artist's like that out there - what bothers me the most about what you said is that there appears to me to be a lack of understanding in what the artist does that you're missing (and also a lack of appreciation). You were shocked by 100$ per page. Think of it in terms of hourly wages and you'll quickly realize that's not farfetched at all. If a comic page took at least 5 hours to draw, ink, color, shade, etc. (and I assure you that most artists take much longer, I think 10 hours is the average) then when you're paying an artist 10$ a page that's only 2$ per hour. If you're not paying them anything that's time they could've spent earning more money some other way.

The portfolio thing is B.S. to me. Primarily because you get into legal issues displaying someone else's ideas or intellectual property in your portfolio, especially if you ever want to get it published. It seems like a good idea but in the long run it often fails. It's best for an artist at first to draw for themselves and establish who they are as an artist, or work with someone closer to them like a friend or teacher not a stranger online with god knows what ability or experience. But that's just my opinion based on my real life experiences and the experiences of my friends.

I think you assume that while I type this I am angry or full of strong emotion - as you seem to be while you type, but I am not. The truth can sting a lot sometimes and I don't always feel like gently breaking certain types of information to people and again if I've offended you, which it appears I have, I apologize for that.

For one I am not 'ripping' you, nor was I entirely discouraging you. I was simply giving you advice on owning your work. Don't defer to other pre-existing famous comics - own your story. Own your character! I'm discouraging you from imitating others or making anyone think you're imitating and finding your own voice - is that really wrong of me?

And no I do not believe that someone should get credit for trying something. Because anyone can try anything, what really counts is when someone succeeds - that's what deserves praise and awards. And that's what you should shoot for -succeeding not just trying. A higher lever of difficulty means nothing if you don't stick the landing -Has china taught us nothing?

It's funny that you're trying to belittle me because you were offended by what I said. You shouldn't get so easily offended especially if you plan on being a writer. It doesn't matter how good of a writer you are you will get your stuff rejected a lot before you get published, every writer goes through that. You can't get your back up every time someone says something a little harsh - especially because no one will want to work with you. Now I'm not saying that to be mean, which I think you assume i'm doing with everything I'm saying, i'm saying it as advice for how to succeed in the real world.

Clearly i'm doing more than posting on a forum in my life if I'm getting paid to illustrate and write books. XD
I actually have a very nice life, and i'm a very laid back person. I've had some extremely boot-camp type teachers and mentors in my life, and that is part of how i've got to where I am. I didn't get offended or defensive or try to belittle the person giving me advice whenever something someone said wasn't as sweet as sugar. The people who get coddled through life rarely succeed as writers or artists. It's a realm filled with critics and most of them are not 'out to get you' or 'discouraging you because they're angry people'. It's naive to think that way.

I wish you the best but I don't have any steak in your fight to be successful, it's all you. As I said before if you don't want to listen to me that's your prerogative but nothing I said was to pick on you or be mean, it just can sound that way unfortunately because I don't sugar coat things and because you're a bit of an over- sensitive person.
Oh.This.Planet.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

Well thank you for all your help and opening my eyes to this real world you speak of.
sale
Forum Member

Post by sale »

I'm not trying to sound negative or anything, I just don't understand how a comic book shop can agree to sell a product they have not seen yet?
I'm really interested in how something like this is possible.
eclipsethecomic
Regular Poster

I only spoke with them about our idea and they said they were interested in the story and that we should bring it in when we finished. they then would be open to talk with us further.
sale
Forum Member

Post by sale »

Oh I see.
Yeah I should have figured that out from your original post, sorry for the inconvenience.