Need an inker?

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

nickog
Frequent Poster

Need an inker?

Post by nickog »

Been interested in picking up some more inking gigs, please email me if interested at nicholas.ogorman@gmail.com

I charge between $25-40 dollars a page, depending on how intensive/fully rendered the pages are.

Here is an example of my work, I have a ton more samples to show interested parties.

GrimFinger
Forum Member

Post by GrimFinger »

That's a nicely rendered piece. The only thing about it that I wonder about is the character's right eye. Through the eye hole, I see no eye, open or closed. On the left eye (the one on the right as I face it), there seems to be a bit of an eye discernible. Is the mask supposed to be shifted past the eye? or is the eye hole covered? Just curious.

I was able to find your deviantART site, and I browsed through some of your other artwork on display there. It's a mixture of different pieces that you have there, but your strong suit, if you don't mind me saying so, is in the area of detail.

In the image on display above, there's lots of details for the eye to enjoy. There's the bark on the tree, vines, grass, flowers, and waves on the water. The cattle skull is a nice touch, and certainly qualifies as a detail, but it's the environment and background that really compliment the primary subject on display in this image.

There's another image on your deviantART page that I really like, the one with the truck going over the bridge. Snow on the evergreen trees, and snow on the bridge railing. Snow on the bridge foundation, and on that sign, along with icicles on the bottom of the sign, just hanging down. The lights on the bridge appear to be lighted, too, though it's the individual vertical rail pieces that I think help to set that piece apart, visually.

I also looked at various colored pieces of art on your deviantART page. Your skills, as an inker, are far superior to any of the coloring skills on display there, whether colored by yourself or by others. I say, not so much to criticize anyone's coloring skills, but rather, to compliment you on your inking skills.

I looked up B'wana beast, just now, so I can see, now, why I couldn't see his eye. In the other images, I see of that character, it appears that the eye section should be shaded/dark.

On the Orbit covers that you did, your penchant for detail is notably absent. In the one with the gas station and diner, for a different comic, more of it is on display.

I don't know how long that it takes you to draw and ink a given piece of art, but I do know that the true depth of your talent and skill, as an artist, isn't on display, when you fore go the details.

And from just the art displayed on your deviantART page, you tend to lavish detail on the environment, far and away more so than you do on the human characters that you draw. I was just curious as to why, if you don't mind my asking.

I don't know what all is in that "ton of samples" that you mentioned, above, but do you have any of large or sweeping city scenes, without characters in them?

I don't dislike the architecture on display for Chaos Manor in one of the issues for Misfits, but it's not quite what I am looking for.

I've looked at the city scene/plaza on page # 8 of The Cured, and the Star Cafe on page # 2 of the same, as well as the Space Needle and surrounding buildings on the cover of one of the Orbit issues.
nickog
Frequent Poster

Post by nickog »

Hi, and thanks for all the kind words about my art and my inks. I am constantly striving to get better, so thanks for the crits and contrasts, they're appreciated also.

Concerning the B'wana Beast eyes, I was going off the characters appearance in Morrison-era Animal Man, where the artist has added metallic/shiny dark red visors to the mask. I dug the look, thought it was bizaar, and it was considerably different than the characters appearance on those old Showcase covers.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... st_002.jpg

Regarding rendering styles and the like, yeah, I've been increasing the amount of texture/rendering added to my pages lately, and I think it is helping my art and the work. This growth should be fairly evident over the course of some of the works you cited, the underrendered Orbit cover being nearly 4 years old. I've been drawing up a storm the last year so yes, i have a fairly extensive amount of work not posted in my deviant art, as they haven't been released in any way.

Regarding your request for some city detailing, and I am not sure if you're asking this of me as an artist or inker, but I'd point you to the following.

Had fun with this one, experimenting with white-on-black in some key areas, like the cranes.

This one is a future dystopia with a great wealth divide:

2 older ones, but fun, the first being a fairly small panel. From a 2 page short featuring a lonely, ignored man suddenly growing massive:

This one is a fav. imparticular, but went uninked.

That's just what I threw together, gotta get back to the table.

All the best,
Nick
GrimFinger
Forum Member

Post by GrimFinger »

nickog wrote:Regarding your request for some city detailing, and I am not sure if you're asking this of me as an artist or inker, but I'd point you to the following.
My interest in art that you've done involving city scenes gravitates around a desire that I have to undertake a personal project for my son. I want to create a board game, from scratch, one based upon the superhero genre.

I don't know, yet, what I want the board to look like. I suppose that I could just buy him several different superhero board games, and save myself the time and the trouble and the expense of creating one from scratch. However, my gut instinct tells me to just go the hard route, on this one.

I'm not looking at creating something to sell, so much as I am looking at creating something to keep, and to play with my son.

I've looked at a variety of different superhero board games that have been published, down through the years. I've looked at older ones, and I've also looked at some fairly recent ones. I've looked at superhero card games, deck builder games, and more traditional board game takes on the genre. From terrain tiles to 3D HeroClix maps, I have just been casually exploring - pausing to read text reviews and to watch video reviews of various games related to the genre.

I don't want to spend tons of money doing it, but by the same token, I know that I certainly can't draw what I need done. Exactly what I need done remains an unknown, at this early juncture in time. However, what I do know, based upon my research to date, is that art is integral to imbuing the game with a comic book superhero type of feel.

Things can always change, of course, since revision is a natural part of the process of designing a board game from scratch. But, one thing that keeps coming back to me, based upon my research and exploring to date, is that the board, itself, will likely be the single biggest piece of artwork in the game.

Because of that, I do not want to underestimate the board's potential to bring the game (and the genre) to life, from a visual impact perspective. I want the board, itself, to make people want to play the game - even if the game mechanics that I eventually come up with and integrate together end up leaving a lot to be desired. Does that make sense? I guess that what I'm after, where the board, itself, is concerned is something that you might call the "WOW!" factor.

I favor a board that incorporates movement spaces, for pawns or paper figures or miniatures to move across it. I just think that that's what my son would prefer. I've looked at numerous HeroClix maps, and while many are pretty or colorful, I haven't yet found any that really reach out and grab me. The 3D HeroClix maps that I've looked at, I find to be more visually interesting, but they still tend to lack a certain "Oomph!" to them.

Because I haven't yet found what I really want, I figure that I can give a go at just creating it - or at having it created.

Hence, my interest in how you draw cities. You know how to imbue environment scenes with interesting details. Your cities, though, tend to come across as rather sterile and largely lifeless.

Take the guy that you drew, the one who grows to be massive in size. When he's standing in the streets next to all of those buildings, look at how barren the street is. It stands in sharp contrast to when you draw snow scenes and nature as backgrounds.

Details imbue art with character. I guess that what I am after is a superhero city with character - and I am very doubtful that that can be achieved, without the art having details in it.