Noirish Sci-Fi series in search of artist/collaborator

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Noirish Sci-Fi series in search of artist/collaborator

Post by neuralclone »

Greetings,

I'm a new member on Zwol with a comic series in script form. I'd like to find an artist/collaborator or at the very least get some feedback on my writing.

The series is based on a short film I made about 7 years ago. To give you an idea of the type of story it is... I have the original short film on you tube, the title there is Pale Dark: XII. The scripts expand tremendously upon that 'teaser' film.

http://youtu.be/w9NkP4mMSl4

Basically, it's a noirish, sci-fi epic.

Just a little background on myself: I went to film school back in the mid 2000's and have written several feature length scripts and short film scripts. I've recently started writing a comic book based on the short film I made several years ago. Back when I made the film, I had written several additional episodes to be made into short films... however, budgetary and time restraints proved too limiting to do the story justice, so the project was shelved.

Fast forward to October 2012, I started looking at my old notes and expanding on them with hopes to start filming them again. Again, the budgetary restraints started stifling my creativity and I was about to give up, when my good friend, Drew, suggested I turn the series into a comic book. The idea of being able to put things on the paper as I conceptualized without concerns of budget or practicality really struck a chord with me. So...

A little over a month ago, I decided to start writing a comic script based on my original idea. I have since outlined a minimum 24 story arc, constructed an ever expanding 18 page "Bible" of the universe and have completed the scripts for the first 8 issues.

Unfortunately, the only feedback I've had is from my loving wife, who of course says it good (but she's not into sci-fi or comics), but her credibility may be as questionable as my mother's haha.

I have a friend who was going to illustrate, but his freelance workload suddenly took off. So, as of now I am without an artist/collaborator.

If you're interested in taking a look at issue 1 please PM me where to send a pdf copy.

As I am new to Zwol, what is the preferred method of sharing scripts for feedback in the forum?

I look forward to collaborating/hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Neuralclone (Chuck) [/img]
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Issue 1

Post by neuralclone »

Thanks to Carl Shinyama on penciljack, I now know how to post a pdf.

Click on the link and it will take you to entire script. I hope you enjoy it.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=omBVH ... LNQmqqjyPQ

Some notes:
- I format my dialogue like I was trained for screenwriting. I think it looks less cluttered and easier to read than having it aligned to left margin.
- The story is set up to run in four to five issue blocks, to run up to issue 24 (five trades). I currently have up to issue 8 done. Issues 1-5, I consider Trade 1: Subject K. Issues 6-10 will be Trade 2: E.G.H.I.K. and so on.
- To give you an idea of how I picture the art; I think something along the lines of Sean Phillips work on Fatale... or even possibly in B/W like the short film. However I am not married to the idea and would be open to artists creative input.
- Also, when it comes to panels, I am open to artists creative input as they might visualize panel size better than a writer who can only draw stick figures (me). I just try to convey the basics needed to tell the story.
GrimFinger
Forum Member

Re: Issue 1

Post by GrimFinger »

I watched the YouTube film clip. I only browsed through part of the script. Is "plastic spork" supposed to be "plastic fork?"
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

sporks

Post by neuralclone »

No its a spork. One of those flimsy plastic utensils that they give with takeout that's a hybrid between spoon and fork... so they only have to give you one utensil. They're good for picnics, but never as good as having a separate fork and spoon.
GrimFinger
Forum Member

Re: sporks

Post by GrimFinger »

neuralclone wrote:No its a spork. One of those flimsy plastic utensils that they give with takeout that's a hybrid between spoon and fork... so they only have to give you one utensil. They're good for picnics, but never as good as having a separate fork and spoon.
Ah.......I never knew what they called them.
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

PALE DARK character sketches

Post by neuralclone »

Some PALE DARK character sketches provided by Ruvel Abril. This is the look and style I'm going for with this series (Think Sean Phillips style noir).

PALE MAN - the main villain.

SUBJECT K - Our hero

DOCTOR VERNON

I'm still looking for an artist who wants to tackle the series... or at least would be interested in helping with character sketches and concept art.

I just finished the script for issue 10 (which would be up to the end of graphic novel volume 2). The story is plotted out to run up to issue 25.

PM me if interested in working on the project.

Thanks,

Chuck
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Luck

Post by Ruyei »

I wish you luck! It's very hard for someone, even one who has a history of working with artist, to pitch just one idea and get someone hooked. Most artists either want one to help them with their project or are picky enough that having several ideas set up is for the best. I once had fifteen separate ideas for comics posted and the artist asked for MORE. This happened two are three times recently.

Honestly the best pet you have is it pay someone a page rate, like I said artists are pretty hard to sell on just a single project with nothing to chose from. That's why I like to get an artist/writer relationship going BEFORE I start a script. I wish you the best though!

Sincerely,
Ruyei/Robert
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Post by neuralclone »

Thanks for the insight Ruyei.

I do have several other stories that I'm going to tackle after Pale Dark.

I guess I'm hoping to find the artist whose style fits the story and they like the story enough that they want to be apart of it. Sure, I'm dreaming big... dreaming small is boring!

I'd consider paying page rates out of pocket for this or splitting profits.
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

long term impossibility

Post by Ruyei »

If I've learned anything about artists it is that a lot of them seem to prefer short term projects with the sole purpose to make a comic submission. My first artists worked that way, but many of the artists I'm attracting now want to work on full length graphic novels. But this is due to three factors, one is that I agreed to work on short projects which have convinced the artist to want to do a full graphic novel. The second factor is that for all the projects of which the ideas are my own it is because I gave the artists numerous plot ideas to chose from, and the third factor is that I opened myself to work on any other artist's pet project. Well, there is also the fact that I've worked on comics before and linked to my completed projects, I think that got me a lot more respect. I've been working on amateur projects for five years now taking any project that went my way and I'm just recently getting to the point where I can afford to be picky about the artists I'm working with.

Well, that's my story. I wish you the best of luck of finding an artist but I hope in addition that the artist wants to work on a long project (Which is probably unlikely) and that the artist has the time on his or her hands to work (Another risk since a lot of the artists I've worked with got buried by work and had to drop out or postpone).

It's very difficult to work with free artists as you can see, if you have the money DEFINITELY pay an artist, it's the only likely way you'll get an artist willing to work on such a long project. If not open yourself to the possibility on working on other projects and dedicate to the art of comicing itself, not a particular idea.

Best wishes!
Ruyei/Robert
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Post by neuralclone »

Ruyei,

I do really appreciate your insight. Thanks again.

It seems a lot of people are quick to trash other peoples work and ideas in the forums, many without even actually reading the work in question.

Chuck/neuralclone
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Post by Ruyei »

Yeah, part of the reason I make posts to help start-up writers is because there are others who will post disparaging comment without giving the writer in question much of an idea on how he can improve their posts. There are others who do the same thing I do though :).

The problem is that there are so many writers who come in here looking to find a partner for the first time. There are still others who have gotten so frustrated of being unable to find a partner that they make posts saying simply "I will write ANYTHING". It's a tough world out there. I found out pretty much everything I know about finding a partner from trial and error and probably a little luck, so I share my experience with people when I can.

I wish you the best of luck!
Sincerely,
Ruyei/Robert
takingbackshawn
Forum Member

Ruyei

Post by takingbackshawn »

Ruyei-

I've seen you offering help to everyone and their mother on here. I think it is great to help out the growing community. With that said, I would like to offer you tips as well. I am currently a professional Comic Artist myself. I can tell you, as a professional, it is NOT a good idea to offer too many ideas. Myself and many artists are looking for solid scripts. We want to see something well put together, clear, and fleshed out.

If you offer fifteen or so ideas...odds are they are very thrown together or lacking. You should never offer more than one to (maybe) three at a time. If you have artists asking for more ideas...when you are already showing fifteen...that's a red flag right there.

I first judge a script by how strong it is and by interacting with the writer and making sure that they have a clear view of their story and where it is going.

I do, however, agree that it helps to be able to offer a rate. You can get an artist with more experience that way...but I can also say that there are many hungry, passionate artists out there willing to to build from the opportunity to illustrate your story. You will only get those artists with strong material though.

Best of luck to both of you gentlemen! Keep creating and enjoying what you do :)

-Shawn Norton
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

Multiple ideas

Post by Ruyei »

Shawn I certainly see your point, fifteen is a little excessive perhaps and is not a number I'd recommend for a new scripter. I simply have such a large post because I am submitting both short ideas AND long term comic ideas, else the post would only have around seven or eight. And the reason their that long is because I am including ideas I have suggested before and that have gotten good responses from artists I've shown them too. That said I think 3-5 ideas is a great number.

The reason I say that is because you'll never know what an artist will want out of a project. He or she may want a comedy, a drama, or even a slice-of-life. With my posts I generally have a varied group of ideas and that has often worked in my favor, like once when the idea which was almost an afterthought got not only one artist, but two! It can be very hard to tell what an artist will choose and why I think offering a variety can only work in ones favor. Three is a good number and I wouldn't do less than that for this reason. I also STRONGLY suggest that the scripter in question make clear that he or she is willing to work on other people's projects, for which I've been recruited to many times.

I get your point though, I wouldn't make a post simply to get to make a numbered quota. If you simply run out of good ideas don't go any further, it's just that I as a writer I almost never run out of ideas which has surprised an artist or two. At the same time every idea doesn't have to be focus tested and have pages upon pages of notes on it, but you should have a good idea of where your going with the piece before you post.

Sorry that we've hijacked your topic Neuralclone and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,
Ruyei/Robert
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Post by neuralclone »

No prob.
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Update

Post by neuralclone »

Hi everyone,

I've since found the artist for Pale Dark. He is working on issue 1 right now.
Last edited by neuralclone on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Updates

Post by neuralclone »

Since this is the original and very first post for Pale Dark... and the post that helped me find my awesome artist... here is a bunch of art to show you the progress we've made. Also, you can see more and stay updated by liking us at facebook.com/paledark.

We're hoping to have the Premiere Issue ready for October 2013!

A rough version of the cover. This has since been improved upon.

Pale Dark: Issue 1, Page 6, panel 3

Pale Dark: Issue 1, Page 9, panel 2

Our imprint. Isle Squared Comics.

The Pale Dark logo.