Artist required BACK END PAY ONLY...

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

clusy
Regular Poster

Artist required BACK END PAY ONLY...

Post by clusy »

Hi

If you are reading this then you are already interested. Thanks for that.

I have had 50 page script pitch accepted by a publisher (5 x 10 page episodes), the publisher is Emerald Star Comics.

My artist has just backed out of the project and I now require someone to do the art (pencils and inks, if you can do the colour and the letters too then all the better, but I have someone who is willing to do all that).

This is a stylised 1950's based strip.

It is a BACK END pay only, sorry but I don't have the funds upfront to pay for this project.

This is a great opportunity to get your work published.

Thanks for reading.

Either PM me on here or send me an email (with samples of artwork) to dave.mccluskey@me.com

Thanks

Dave.
dbppres

Post by dbppres »

if you're paying for internet, then most likely you have a few dollars a page, to pay out.
ArcTanGentleman
Regular Poster

Not always correct.

Post by ArcTanGentleman »

You'd be surprised. And you're forgetting that not everyone has to pay for the internet on their own, many people split the bills. I pay about $10 a month for internet.

My budget basically breaks down to food, rent, and like many people I'm living month to month. In fact, I can't even guarantee to the artist that I won't die before a series is completed. The worst case scenario would be for me to lose internet. However, I've given thought to what happens after I die, and intend to include some provisions in a contract or will, and I plan to commit my work to a trust at some point when I have enough to spare.

Also, you're forgetting that many people will attack you for offering what they perceive to be too low. Basically, you're screw'd either way.

You're also forgetting that McDonalds has free Wi-Fi, and many people have old laptops from when they had money that are now worthless. Failing that, a budget cell-phone that will access the internet via wi-fi with android 4.0 is available for $20.

Also, you have no guarantee anyone on this board is not homeless, living out of their car, and couch-surfing to stay alive. Forgive me for shattering your illusion, but it does happen. (And, in fact, it was an artist).
clusy
Regular Poster

This isn't a social commentary...

Post by clusy »

Guys

I am looking for an artist who wants to get involved with a script that has been picked up by a publisher, not a social commentary about who may or may not be homeless...

I need an artist who wants to be published, noticed, and have their portfolio boosted by art that people are going to actually see. Its all about stepping stones.

Oh, and there is back end pay involved too.

I know that people say, I can't commit to putting time into a project that I am not getting paid for... What a good job that Vincent Van-Gogh didn't say that eh!

I am a writer, and I work full time too, but I have a passion for writing, so, every hour that I am not working and that I have free time from my wife and 6 year old girl, I write.... simples.

I was not expecting anyone to pay me, I wanted to create a portfolio of published work, I wanted to crawl before I could run, I needed to pay my dues...

Now, my hard work has paid off as I have been published a good few times, and have had work accepted that will be published this year.

So come all you artists... If you want to be taken seriously, pump your portfolio and be published, get involved... if you love your calling then it is not all about the £££$$$£££$$$

That is all...
naffslack
Consistant Poster

Post by naffslack »

Well said
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Post by neuralclone »

Agreed... while money is great, most of the us on these boards are doing it for the love of making comics.
Chuck
www.islesquaredcomics.com
www.facebook.com/islesquaredcomics
@zarran67 on Twitter
islesquaredcomics.tumblr.com
dbppres

Post by dbppres »

well, that's the best-case scenario for a writer to come from, to get an artist without up-front pay offers, and i commend you for that accomplishment.

about the wifi at McD's; you dont get to be on there for long, before you're expected to buy something, which points to if you're there, you have money to spend. no, it doesn't have to be the Big Mac, instead just get the 1.00 menu items, and 2 of them at that, then you can save slowly but surely.

if you're homeless, then you dont have any detracting expenses of significance to worry about, so here are 3 avenues of getting revenue;
1.recyclables
2.day labor
3.work under the table
before anyone says that if you're homeless, you're broke, i've spoken to too many homeless people that panhandle, and earn more in a day than regular wage-earners, so there's no excuse there, if you get down to it.

Neuralclone,
if you and the others aren't planning on GIVING AWAY the comics that you may publish, then how was it supposed to be "for the love of it"?
neuralclone
Frequent Poster

Post by neuralclone »

Neuralclone,
if you and the others aren't planning on GIVING AWAY the comics that you may publish, then how was it supposed to be "for the love of it"?
I've paid for all my art and print runs out pocket from my day job, with the knowledge that I will NOT be making a profit or even breaking even. I'm investing my hard earned money to tell stories and pitch to publishers. And I do it because I love it and dedicate as much time as I can working on making and promoting my comics. I believe my work speaks for itself. I get that there are a lot of great artists that should be making more than they should be... and sometimes writers come along asking for back end deals with unrealistic expectations... but that doesn't mean ever collaboration or writer is out to "screw" artists.[/quote]
Chuck
www.islesquaredcomics.com
www.facebook.com/islesquaredcomics
@zarran67 on Twitter
islesquaredcomics.tumblr.com
dbppres

Post by dbppres »

if youre not paying them, then youre not doing them any favors,and doing more harm than good, because they're risking diminsihing their art supplies, and those aren't free.

clusy has something to actually offer, and that is an actual publishing deal, where more than likely both the artists and writer will be compensated.
clusy
Regular Poster

Mass - Debate

Post by clusy »

Guys...

I have indeed enjoyed this debate on payment or non-payment.

I can truly understand the artists resources and time issues, and I can understand the writers affection for his creation.

In real terms, both parties should be getting paid.

I have had experience of really awful artists wanting massive payments, and also seen a lot of dross written where the writer was expecting an artist to work on it for nothing...

Swings and roundabouts!!!

My point is that if there is something that is going to be published, then it is a boost for both parties... Surly portfolio work (unless you are an uber-talented professional with 30 years experience under your belt) is good for both parties than a couple of hundred $$$ in the bank that will be spent within a week of receiving it, and then getting nothing from the sales of the comic...