Strange Request (story development assistance)

Writer looking for artist? Artist looking for writer? Publisher or webmaster looking for either? Post here.

Moderator: Moderators

youngPRO
Regular Poster

Strange Request (story development assistance)

Post by youngPRO »

My story revolves around a lot of mature dark themes and I'm trying to get more ideas.
I'm trying to think of different traumatic events that could cause a person to make drastic changes in ones life. Whether it be a major event or a lot of little things that build up. I've already thought of basic ideas like the death of loved ones and childhood abuse but I want some diversity in my characters so any ideas would be appreciated.
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

advice

Post by Ruyei »

Here's some advice, if you're having so much trouble it might help to get a cowriter. Another option is the website "Webcomicunderdogs.com" It is much better suited for these kinda of questions. But honestly if you are having trouble with even the most basic of concepts for your story on such a common basis it may help you greatly to get a writing partner. There are multiple people on this site who would jump at the opportunity to collaborate. And who knows, you both may grow from the experience or form a lasting important partnership.

Sincerely,
Ruyei
emocort
Reinvents comics

Post by emocort »

you dont really need to have a traumatic event happen to you to drastically change. take panic attacks for instance, a lot of people have them and for no reason at all, they arent scared of a specific situation or circumstance that makes them panic, they just do. so basically they feel like they are going to die for no reason apart from their brain acting haywire. so dealing with that for years on end can turn a person into making drastic choices in order to end their suffering.

cancer is another thing that makes people drastically change, either for better or worse. story-wise its a cliche

STD's could be a better route. its a dirty subject that people want to avoid or they do a story that makes things light-hearted or just lame. you could do a story where the average blue-collar worker is sleeping with cheap hookers, eventually he starts to get sick, and cause of america being america, he cant afford the medicine to get better,lets say he works at mcdonalds so his hourly wage is shit and there are no health benefits, so instead he turns to drugs to feel better, if hes gonna die why not? now hes addicted to "drugs" and is acting crazy and unpredictable at work, eventually gets fired and loses everything. now you could give him a happy ending by him ending up in the care of his family and getting the help he needs, or you make him worse(real) and have him dying in a gutter, either from the std or the drugs/withdrawl. the main thing for the reader is them wanting to know if or how you are going to kill this guy by the end of the series/book.
youngPRO
Regular Poster

Post by youngPRO »

I'm not having trouble with the story. I understand that it might seem that way from my posts but I'm simply trying to get other perspectives, ideas and simply to participate with the community. The story is mostly fleshed out and I could begin writing most of the scripts since the ideas that I'm asking for assistance with do not impact the story negativly if I were to leave them out but would only improve the quality of the story. I'm simply very particular with my ideas and do not like to leave loose ends and like to have ever little detail explained. The most basic of concepts for my story are completed. I didn't see the harm in getting an outside look at some simple concepts that I could elaborate on and expand the content I already have. I'm not an expert on human behaviors and traumatic events so I thought it would be helpful to get ideas from people that have more knowledge on the subject.
Also, as you know there are a lot of people who say they want to collaborate but after a few emails they completely disappear especially if there is no compensation. I don't feel the need to take the time to explain in detail the entirety of my story just to have someone to give little to no input and never respond again. Instead I find it useful to request specific pieces of generalized information that get my creative thoughts flowing.
I was under the assumption that there was a much more friendly and helpful community here but I suppo I was mistaken.

Thank you for your advice but in all honesty it wasn't very helpful.
youngPRO
Regular Poster

Post by youngPRO »

Emocort I don't know why I didn't think of something as simple as substance abuse. I will have to do some research on different substances since I don't have much personal knowledge on it but I feel like it can help expand the story. Like you said the cancer thing has been over used but I might try to have a unique spin on a character with cancer. alsobim trying to study different mental disorders to use that as well but I want to capture the reality of all of these events and situations. Thanks for your input. Definitely got my mind thinking.
emocort
Reinvents comics

Post by emocort »

no worries, you could also go to an AA meeting and listen to peoples full stories. so much more fucked up than any fiction you could think of.
youngPRO
Regular Poster

Post by youngPRO »

Lol I feel like that would be a little messed up to do if I don't have a problem myself
emocort
Reinvents comics

Post by emocort »

Youre a writer, you gotta do research and you cant get the stuff you need from someones websitenor blog. You need to be there in person so you can hear the pain these people go through and their hardships.
Ruyei
Reinvents understanding

stories

Post by Ruyei »

I'm sure they'd allow you to join. A lot of these meetings are free to all anyway, and if you tell them you want to learn more about substance abuse they'll be happy to teach you :)
youngPRO
Regular Poster

Post by youngPRO »

I was just under the impression that a meeting like that would be private but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.
I was actually trying to think of a way to meet someone with these issues so I could have a first hand look at how they are as a person. the last thing I would want to do is misrepresent a persons illness and I feel like I would do just that with just basic internet research.
emocort
Reinvents comics

Post by emocort »

AA meetings are for anybody as far as I know. you may want to call your local AA to see what they say, i would keep the whole "im a writer doing research" thing to yourself though just in case they get pissed at you, or maybe if its over the phone you could tell the and see what they say, if they get mad at least its not in person. I think if you were genuine about it they might be cool with it. I was at an AA meeting when i was a kid supporting my grandpa and there was an old lady sharing her full story. i dont remember most of it, mainly cause i was a kid and was realllllllly bored, but the thing i do remember was a description of her lowest point when she hit rock bottom, she was staying in a hotel and hadnt come out in weeks, she was drinking box wine and said that she had drank so much that her sweat and her skin stank of wine. now that i think of it, thats the only thing i remember the lady saying.

one thing you wont get from reading about it online is the tone of voice and the expressions the people have on their faces when they tell these stories in person. simply put, you cant learn what "pain" is by reading about it.